HOME > Chowhound > Los Angeles Area >
Brewing beer, curing meat, or making cheese? Get great advice

ISO - Dried Cottage Cheese aka "Pot Cheese"

Jeryy Feb 6, 2011 07:31 AM

My wife wants to make cheese knishes like her Russian grandmother used to make, using dried cottage cheese or "Pot cheese" (as it was then called.) Does anyone know where it can be purchased?
Many thanks.

  1. h
    happybaker Feb 7, 2011 09:19 PM

    I get Farmers Cheese (like a very dry cottage cheese) for blintzes at SuperKing in Los Angeles. I think I have seen it at Jons markets as well.

    Good stuff!

    1 Reply
    1. re: happybaker
      mamasan Feb 7, 2011 10:02 PM

      How close to hoop cheese does the dry farmers cheese come & how much does it run per pound?

    2. f
      Fru Feb 6, 2011 08:47 PM

      It has been a long time but I used to get Farmers Cheese/Hoop Cheese from Gelson's to make my grandmother's blintzes.

      3 Replies
      1. re: Fru
        Miri1 Feb 7, 2011 08:29 PM

        Some of the LA area markets like Ralph's carry small packages of Friendship farmer cheese which I love. But I found that Canter's on Fairfax sells it in large packages, and by the pound, too.

        The kosher market that Paprkutr mentioned on La Brea and Oakwood is La Brea Market and they do carry some farmer cheese but beware if you go there on a Friday afternoon! They close early and they will be PACKED!

        There is also Western Kosher on Fairfax that has farmer cheese as well.

        1. re: Miri1
          mamasan Feb 7, 2011 09:48 PM

          Friendship no longer manufactures hoop cheese.

          1. re: mamasan
            goodhealthgourmet Feb 7, 2011 10:30 PM

            but they do still make Farmer Cheese, and i've seen it at various stores here in LA.


      2. p
        paprkutr Feb 6, 2011 05:54 PM

        Try some of the kosher deli's in the area. Call Kosher Club on pico, and there is a kosher grocery on La Brea and Oakwood, that I believe carries it. Call around to some of the kosher stores.

        1. mnosyne Feb 6, 2011 02:36 PM

          My mom used to buy hoop cheese for blintzes etc. Sorta dry cottage cheezy.

          2 Replies
          1. re: mnosyne
            Jeryy Feb 6, 2011 05:46 PM

            Thanks. Where can you buy hoop cheese?

            1. re: Jeryy
              mamasan Feb 7, 2011 09:46 PM

              Hoop cheese is no longer manufactured. Very sad for those of us who enjoyed it. Try Dry Curd Cottage Cheese, if you're lucky enough to find it. I've heard some suggest your local farmers markets.

          2. j
            jaykayen Feb 6, 2011 10:42 AM

            Farmer's cheese in some of the Middle Eastern ethnic stores.

            Show Hidden Posts