Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Home Cooking >
Feb 1, 2011 05:24 PM

Little sesame seed covered balls on Chinese buffets

What on earth are those little sesame see covered balls on Chinese buffets? Do any of you even know what I'm talking about? They are sort of doughy tasting, slightly sweet and light orange on the inside, usually warm.

I have not been to a chinese buffet in a decade, but I really remember loving these things when I was a kid. Now that I think about them I wonder what they are. Any idea?

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. They are called "jiandui", or "jin deui" in Cantonese:

    You can find recipes by Googling those two names.

    3 Replies
    1. re: DeppityDawg

      Yeah, I've found this before, but there is no hollowness and no bean paste filling. It's just thick chewy pastry. Maybe what I've been eating is some americanized variation of this.

      1. re: Honestly Good Food

        Oh, sorry. In that case it sounds like fried sweet potato balls. These are actually mentioned in one of the threads suggested below:

        1. re: DeppityDawg

          Ah ha! I always thought they tasted a little like sweet potato! You have no idea how many people I've asked about them. Thanks!