Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > General Topics >
Jan 30, 2011 05:57 AM

can you identify this dessert?

So I was at a street market yesterday and I got a bunch of really amazing middle eastern/greek/turkish desserts mostly in puff pastry. I got this one thing that I had never seen before that was bright orange,. I have been googling for a while and I found a picture that looks like it: - the ropey/knot looking one. Anybody know what it's called? I have to find out where I can get more :-)

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
    1. re: klyeoh

      Yes, jalebi. They are all over India. In small village, there are often piles of them 3 feet high on a table outside the shop that makes them -- with a few hundred bees swarming all over them. An indelible memory!

    2. It's called Zlabyah in Iraqi cuisine. See Lamees Ibrahim's The Iraqi Cookbook, p. 266, picture on page 267 looks just like yours. We ate these in Morocco a lot around Ramadan.

      1 Reply
      1. re: cbertel

        Awesome, thank you. Will check out that cookbook.