Chocolate Pot de Creme recipe from 42 Degrees in San Diego
Eliza 524, here you go, I found the recipe
Bittersweet Chocolate Pot de Creme, 42 Degrees
4 Cups Heavy Cream
1 3/4 Cups Half & Half
1/2 Cup Sugar
Pinch of Salt
18 Egg Yolks (yes, that's right, 18 egg yolks)
12 oz Bittersweet chocolate, Callebaut preferred, finely chopped
1 tsp Vanilla
* Chop chocolate and place in a large bowl. Set aside
* Combine the heavy cream, half & half, 1/4 cup of the sugar and the salt in a large sacue pan and bring to a simmer.
* Add the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar to the egg yolks and whisk until well incorporated.
* Temper the egg yolks by adding a few tablespoons of the hot cream mixture to them whisking well. Then pour the empered eggs yolks back into the hot cream whisking well.
* Ove medium heat, stir the mixture until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, which will be about 10 mintues
* Pour the thickened mixture over the reserved chocolate and add the vanilla. Whisk until the chocolate melts and cream mixture has been well incorporated. Strain through a seive
* Pour into 8 oz ramikins and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours
* Serve with lightly sweetened whipped cream if desired
I don't remember what the yield was on the this recipe, probably 10 or 12 servings. It is decadently rich and fabulous. If you try it, please post back and let me know how you liked it :-)
@Alice Q - I have had the Cucina Urbana version, love it. Don't think I've had it at Cafe Chloe.
@Eliza524 - I had a computer crash last April and lost a bunch of recipes I had saved on that computer. It is in the archives of the SF Chronicle but devilishly hard to pull up. There is one other place I can look to see if it's still there, if it is I'll post.
721 9th Ave, San Diego, CA 92101