Your secret (until now) late night at-home indulgent snacks
- LotusRapper Jan 15, 2011 09:40 PM
- peanut butter on Ritz crackers, triple-deckered
- "BLT" with the B made of leftover fried chicken's skin (only), with lots of mayo
- sandwich of bread with leftover spaghetti as middle filling, spiked with more grated parmesan
- canned sardine in tomato sauce (ie: Mega, Ligo brands) on Wasa bread slices
Of course, none of this is complete unless I'm also watching "The Triple D" or Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares on The Food Channel.
Ooooh, I haven't had a spaghetti sandwich in ages! Thanks for the reminder!
Lately, mine have been:
A slice of sourdough slathered on both sides with butter then pan toasted (oh, who am I kidding: it's fried bread!)
Fried apples stuffed in a tortilla which is then also fried
A drink of orange juice, sugar, vanilla, and milk or heavy cream
A blended drink of milk or heavy cream, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and a raw egg or two
Some nice skirt steak sliced and seasoned with a little worchestershire sauce or soy sauce, salt, pepper, honey, cayenne pepper, and garlic, allowed to sit for a couple of minutes then eaten raw.... It's like unripe beef jerky.
I like to refrigerate a few barely ripe bananas
that hold in their state for 3 or 4 days.
They poise in position of perfect good balance
of insoluble and soluble fiber, and real good electrolytes.
There are times when I'll do toast and nut butter and mayo with those perfect bananas
and chuckle and crunch into the sandwich that was a favorite of Elvis.
He'd call for his jet and fly his buds to Las Vegas for just such a sandwich;
I prefer to just do it at home.
Depending upon the heat of the night and the depth of attendant insomnia
I just might skip the toast, and also the mayo.
But at minimum I'll have a spoon in walnut almond butter
alternating in triad with milk and banana.
Yum. Other than the sardines, those sound great LotusRapper.
I don't do a lot of late night snacking, but recently when I've succumbed to the desire for it, I've kept it simple. Good bread toasted and slathered with Duke's mayo.
(1) Split, toasted, leftover baguettte, lightly buttered with Baconnaise, 1/2 ripe avocado mashed on top, salt & peppa.
(2) Grated parmesano regiano (just the cheese), mounded into cookie-sized piles on parchment. Baked until melted and crispy-thin.
(3) Smoked black cod (sablefish) on butter crackers.
(4) Chunky natural peanut butter and gooseberry jam (or bitter marlmelade) on toast.
straight fresh mozzarella, love it and cannot get enough of it. Also peanut butter or sour cream pretty much on anything handy.
usually whatever we had for dinner gets put into tortillas that have been heated on the open flame of the gas range until they are soft and have a couple of charred spots. add whatever cheese, hot sauce. and i won't lie, sometimes an egg gets thrown on there too. yum.
Avocado scooped out with chips.
Avocado on toast.
Avocado on plain white rice.
Avocado shake, Vietnamese style.
So, at night, I crave carbs with avocado.