Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Chicago Area >
Jan 11, 2011 08:00 PM

Heavy / Table Cream available in Chicago?

When i moved here three years ago, Dominick's carried "Heavy Cream", but they pulled it after a year or so. I can't find it at Jewel or Oberweis; nor can I find it at any Mexican supermarkets. Can anyone tell me where I can find it? I'm *not* talking about "Whipping Cream".


  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. Yes, Restaurant Depot carries heavy cream. They are located on Division, east of I90...however you do need membership card to shop there.

    Restaurant Depot
    1030 W Division St, Chicago, IL 60642

    1. Can you say what the difference is between "heavy cream" and "whipping cream" and how heavy cream gets used?

      I thought I had seen heavy cream either at Jewel or Whole Foods, but can't swear to it.

      2 Replies
      1. re: chicgail

        Heavy cream typically has a higher fat content than whipping cream; however, there are no official standards for those grades in the United States. The higher fat content means that it will whip quicker (and if you keep going, will become butter quicker, too).

        I know I've seen heavy cream in routine food shopping - meaning, I'm pretty sure I've seen it at places like Trader Joe's, Costco, Sam's Club, Dominick's, Jewel, and Whole Foods. Not that you will necessarily find it at ALL of those, but you will find it as SOME of those, and you don't have to go to a specialty gourmet store like Fox & Obel.

        1. re: nsxtasy

          Costco had half-gallons of the Land o Lakes Heavy Cream last time I checked (3-4 weeks ago).

      2. If you have a whole foods they often stock cream up to 41% which is considered heavy cream in the us. If you are looking for the 48% heavy cream (usually called double heavy in the resturant industry) which is used extensively in the uk then you need to either buy it through a food wholesaler such as US foods, or find an English market or pub that will get you some.

        1. Please let me know if you have made any progress. I will let you know if I find any. I think it is also called "manufacturing cream." I am almost sure Costco has it but I don't have a membership.

          2 Replies
          1. re: BColeKid

            Costco has half-gallons of "heavy whipping cream", I'm not sure that meets the OP's requirements (although since we're talking fat content "heavy" should be "heavy", whipping-designation aside. Around Christmas the person in line ahead of me had about 2 cases of this in her cart. She said she made Christmas ice cream with it for all of her neighbors.

            1. re: ferret

              For recipes where heat is required, you probably could add butter to compensate for the gap in fat content. Though you couldn't do this with cold creamy desserts like the extra creamy ice cream I would like to consume this summer until I develop a belly.