Gargoyles' Shout Out, and Special Snow Storm Food and Drinks; Sun. Football Nights in the Bar
We are big fans of Jason's innovative cuisine and the excellent service at gargoyles, so we are on their enewsletter list. Here's what we rcvd today. We had a really amazing special 3 course prix fixe meal for patrons last week. A sublime chestnut squash bisque and cumin crusted lamb rack, plus dessert, for $29!!!! for rack of lamb!!! wow. now that's generous. as were the portions and sides.
I have never understood why G doesn't get written up alot on CH, but i know they are doing really well and have quite a following, so i just guess that their fanbase 'doesn't do CH' or at least, don't post.
For us, we have not yet found ANY area restaurants with G's unique combination of:
- innovative internationally influenced cuisine with frequently unique ingredients(specifically, a lot of influence from mexico, asia, france and italy)
- a very serious and educated but also playful attitude from the chef, who likes to experiment with cutting edge techniques and ingredients
- a "Yes" kitchen ("You want to change the set-up, substitute? Sure"; " You have a problem with that dish?Well, let's get you happy" )
- abundant portions
-medium price point (entrees in the $ '20's)
- professional, knowledgeable efficient service from authentically nice, 'no attitude' waitstaff who are both loyal to and proud of their place of work and who really want you to enjoy yourself
- comfortable banquette seating
- 'quiet', not high decibel bistro, noise level
- decent spacing between tables
- subdued lighting that is not so subdued as to prevent menu legibility
- good red wines by the glass and excellent mixed drinks
- easy parking access ( a strip of dedicated G pkg plus a public lot, both directly behind G.)
- attractive and welcoming 'green' exterior
Of course there are minuses but for us they are few. Very occasionally the menu doesn't intrigue us.
Desserts and table breads are a weakness. We'd like a much larger menu of red wines by the glass.
The dining room, while attractive and comfortable, is probably ready for some new fabric. Their website is crummy: bad graphics , poorly designed, and not reflective of what they are about.
their current menu:
So, back to their Celebrate the Snow Storm info/ enewsletter :
"Weather Alert: major winter storm to hit
Bring it on !
Winter storm can only mean a few things
No work on Wednesday
A long day of shoveling
And Gargoyles is going to make a party out of it..
From Tuesday night - Wednesday night
The Bar staff has created some warm and delicious cocktails
that can be paired with a special winter warm up menu.
Mac Daddy and Cheese $7.00
Tomato Soup and grilled cheese sandwich $ 7.50
Beef Stew in a red wine sauce $14/ 8
On wednesday night we're also offering a special 3 course prix fixe
for $ 29.00/person++
(call ahead first
Sunday Nights during the Football playoffs
stop by and watch the Patriots Games on our 120inch HD television
Great Drink Specials & 1/2 priced Bar menu
(t.v. is only played on special events)
Gargoyles not your ordinary place to watch the game, but the best place to watch it "
Gargoyles On the Square
219 Elm Street, Somerville, MA 02144