Gargoyles' Shout Out, and Special Snow Storm Food and Drinks; Sun. Football Nights in the Bar
- opinionatedchef Jan 11, 2011 11:54 AM
We are big fans of Jason's innovative cuisine and the excellent service at gargoyles, so we are on their enewsletter list. Here's what we rcvd today. We had a really amazing special 3 course prix fixe meal for patrons last week. A sublime chestnut squash bisque and cumin crusted lamb rack, plus dessert, for $29!!!! for rack of lamb!!! wow. now that's generous. as were the portions and sides.
I have never understood why G doesn't get written up alot on CH, but i know they are doing really well and have quite a following, so i just guess that their fanbase 'doesn't do CH' or at least, don't post.
For us, we have not yet found ANY area restaurants with G's unique combination of:
- innovative internationally influenced cuisine with frequently unique ingredients(specifically, a lot of influence from mexico, asia, france and italy)
- a very serious and educated but also playful attitude from the chef, who likes to experiment with cutting edge techniques and ingredients
- a "Yes" kitchen ("You want to change the set-up, substitute? Sure"; " You have a problem with that dish?Well, let's get you happy" )
- abundant portions
-medium price point (entrees in the $ '20's)
- professional, knowledgeable efficient service from authentically nice, 'no attitude' waitstaff who are both loyal to and proud of their place of work and who really want you to enjoy yourself
- comfortable banquette seating
- 'quiet', not high decibel bistro, noise level
- decent spacing between tables
- subdued lighting that is not so subdued as to prevent menu legibility
- good red wines by the glass and excellent mixed drinks
- easy parking access ( a strip of dedicated G pkg plus a public lot, both directly behind G.)
- attractive and welcoming 'green' exterior
Of course there are minuses but for us they are few. Very occasionally the menu doesn't intrigue us.
Desserts and table breads are a weakness. We'd like a much larger menu of red wines by the glass.
The dining room, while attractive and comfortable, is probably ready for some new fabric. Their website is crummy: bad graphics , poorly designed, and not reflective of what they are about.
their current menu:
So, back to their Celebrate the Snow Storm info/ enewsletter :
"Weather Alert: major winter storm to hit
Bring it on !
Winter storm can only mean a few things
No work on Wednesday
A long day of shoveling
And Gargoyles is going to make a party out of it..
From Tuesday night - Wednesday night
The Bar staff has created some warm and delicious cocktails
that can be paired with a special winter warm up menu.
Mac Daddy and Cheese $7.00
Tomato Soup and grilled cheese sandwich $ 7.50
Beef Stew in a red wine sauce $14/ 8
On wednesday night we're also offering a special 3 course prix fixe
for $ 29.00/person++
(call ahead first
Sunday Nights during the Football playoffs
stop by and watch the Patriots Games on our 120inch HD television
Great Drink Specials & 1/2 priced Bar menu
(t.v. is only played on special events)
Gargoyles not your ordinary place to watch the game, but the best place to watch it "
Gargoyles On the Square
219 Elm Street, Somerville, MA 02144