Looking for casual baby-friendly at Fisherman's Wharf
Hello, SF Hounds! This Maine hound is coming to San Francisco next week for a business trip, and bringing my spouse and 8-mo-old baby along for the ride. While we're anxious to try lots of what you have to offer (namely, burritos, dim sum, sourdough), I know we'll also be in need of an affordable (read: cheap!) place for breakfast/lunch within a 10 minute walk of the Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf, where we can grab easy foods (muffins, soup, coffee) and relax with the baby. I understand that this is quite a touristy area, but I'm hoping you can direct us toward a locally owned gem that can fit our needs in that neighborhood.
TIA, and thanks as well for all the great tips I'm reading up on in other threads!
Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf
2500 Mason Street, San Francisco, CA
The Buena Vista Cafe is known for Irish coffee but they have very tasty breakfast/lunch in a classic SF atmosphere. You can also walk to the beloved California burger institution In n Out. Head up Columbus towards North Beach and there's Burgermeister. Boudin in Ghirardelli has good sandwiches and chowder. Fisherman's Wharf itself is touristy but very close to North Beach and Chinatown with lots of local gems and your hotel is actually a great location and very pleasant. Have fun.
Buena Vista Cafe
2765 Hyde St, San Francisco, CA 94109
Try DeLise Dessert Cafe, just a block and a half from your hotel. Friendly owners, baby friendly, very unique muffins & desserts.
Cafe Capriccio at Mason & Chestnut serves more sit down breakfast items in a cosy setting.
Xox truffles - you get a free truffle with your coffee
754 Columbus Ave, San Francisco, CA 94133
DeLise dessert cafe
327 Bay St, San Francisco, CA 94133
Just don't go to the touristy Rainforest Cafe. We thought we would take our toddler for a "treat" and he was terrified. LOL we had to leave without ordering....
We took him to the even more touristy Bubba Gump and he loved it there.....it may be a tourist trap, but if you get a window seat and a bucket of peel and eat shrimp it is fun to watch the ships and sail boats pass by.....
Thanks again for the great ideas, folks. The three-hour time difference really ended up disrupting our eating... by dinner time, my poor guy thought it was 10 PM, and was totally uninterested in hanging out for dinner. But some of the affordable, baby-friendly meals that we had included:
- Cafe Cappricio at Mason and Chestnut had lovely salads and coffee, and was very inviting. Lunch for under $10pp.
- In 'n' Out Burger- my very first time! Fast food, but mighty tasty. Of course very kid-friendly, and fun to watch the passers-by through the window. Burgers/fries for two adults- $14.
- Tony's Pizzaria Napoletana in North Beach (about a ten minute walk from the Wharf)- they have a take-out place adjacent (since we couldn't hack the 45 min wait.... sigh). We had an amazing(!) PLT (pancetta, lettuce, tomato, with pesto and avocado served warm on Acme sourdough), and a slightly dry but tasty baked ziti, for $15. I tried to convince DH to stuff down a slice of pizza with me also, but he wouldn't... I regret it, as the pizza looked amazing. Total, with soda, $20.
- Cafe Francisco, two blocks up Mason from the main drag, was open early, had really tasty breakfast sandwiches, and no crowds. And friendly staff. DH had a great breakfast bagel while I was at the conference, and went back again the next day. Everything under $10.
- Totally not in Fisherman's Wharf, but worth noting that a food highlight were the burritos we had at El Farolito on Mission Street. Two fantastic monster burritos, enough for leftovers, and several varieties of self-serve salsa, $17.
- Also a highlight was the amazing Sat morning farmer's market. We arrived at 8 AM and avoided the crowds and got lots of samples, as well as split a tasty olive oil fried egg sandwich from Il Cane Rosso on a toasted bun with pancetta and cheese ($8), a pain epis from Acme ($1.50?), a steamed pork bun from Out the Door (the take-out from Slanted Door- $3), and some lovely fruit that is definitely not in season at home in Maine.
Thanks for your help, all. You have a great city, and we enjoyed it enormously!
Ferry Slip, San Francisco, CA 94111
2161 Powell St, San Francisco, CA 94133
Out the Door
845 Market St, San Francisco, CA 94103
Il Cane Rosso
1 Ferry Plaza, San Francisco, CA 94105