HOME > Chowhound > U.K./Ireland >
What's your latest food project? Tell us about it

Where to buy a Falafel Scoop in London?

ooglewoogle Dec 19, 2010 01:07 PM

After a great Falafel at Borough Mkt (previously recommended to me here!) I have decided to try and track down a scoop while I am in the city. Anyone know where to buy a decent one?

Many thanks.

  1. Peg Dec 20, 2010 10:48 AM

    OK I'll bite - what on earth is a 'falafel scoop'?
    Surely you just roll it into balls with your hands?

    2 Replies
    1. re: Peg
      chief1284 Dec 20, 2010 02:09 PM

      No its a metal thing you hold like a microphone with a scoop thing at the end. Heck, this description isn't going anywhere...(google images)...


      And while you're at it...


      Oh and if you want to save yourself the hassle of making it, I strongly recommend trying Maoz out on Old Compton Street.

      1. re: chief1284
        limster Dec 20, 2010 03:15 PM

        Definitely try Flafel House http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/661985

    2. f
      fourunder Dec 20, 2010 02:18 PM

      If they are not using their hands to form the Falafel.....in the USA, just about every Middle Eastern place I've seen uses what is known as either a Ice Cream Disher or an Ambidextrous Food Portion Control Disher.......you can get them in different size fro 1-4 ounces.


      1 Reply
      1. re: fourunder
        mr_gimlet Dec 23, 2010 06:52 PM

        If you order felafel in Jordan or Syria, they aren't round balls. They are more of a tablet kind of shape so you get crispy corners. So the device is more of an extruder.

      2. deansa Dec 24, 2010 12:25 AM

        Probably doesn't help you much, but I asked my dad (the falafel master) where he got his and he said Kuwait. :-) Perhaps worth trying somewhere like Green Valley - even if they don't sell them perhaps they can suggest someone who might?

        1. s
          spotthedog Dec 28, 2010 09:22 AM


          Show Hidden Posts