What cooking technique(s)/method(s) would you like to perfect in 2011?
- chefathome Dec 19, 2010 10:56 AM
2. Cheese making (other than creme fraiche and ricotta which I currently make)
Three things have inspired me to do this -
1. I went on holiday last year in Australia and the hotel we stayed in had homemade beauty products, but the shampoo was absolutely amazing, my hair had never looked so nice and the smell stays with me as a fantastic lingering memory of an incredible holiday.
2. This summer we stayed at a B&B in Languedoc, France and the women who ran it had homemade lavender soaps in the room which not only made the entire bathroom smell lovely but also left my skin so soft.
3. And finally, last weekend we stayed with some friends and there was a homemade liquid soap in the bathroom made of rosemary and mint. She had ordered it off of Etsy (www.etsy.com) and had it shipped to Switzerland. It was heavenly, and again, made my hands feel soft instead of dry in the mountain air.
I have started researching recipes, but I can tell that it is challenging and will need some planning, time and special equipment. (No way are my precious pots and pans going to become guinea pigs for this side project!)
Pickling. I have an amazing recipe for spicy pickles. I've had it for two years. I think this summer will be the time I finally put up my first batch.