super lemony cookies or bar recipes?
Hello Chowhounds, my BH loves lemony sweets. I am hoping you can share a great holiday cookie or bar that wows you with lemon flavour. We aren't crazy about most lemon recipes because they tend to be too sweet and not enought lemony tartness.
Have a great holiday season! Heylids
My daughter is a great fan of good lemony cookies. I make them for her frequently.
Make your favorite sugar cookie with a couple of tablespoons of fresh lemon juice (depending on the number of cookies the recipe makes) as part of the wet ingredients and top with this glaze:
1 Tbsp cream cheese, softened
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 cup confectioner’s sugar (or less according to taste)
If you add the sugar a little at a time you can adjust the tartness very easily.
This is my mother-in-law's lemon bar recipe. I find it very lemony as is, but you can also add grated lemon zest to boost it even more.
- Shortbread Base
1/2 cup butter COLD
1/2 cup sifted icing sugar
1 cup sifted flour
Cut cold butter into little pieces, about 1/4 inch squares. DO NOT MELT BUTTER.
In a medium bowl, mix icing sugar and sifted flour together thoroughly. Add butter cubes to dry ingredients and rub everything together with your fingers to blend. (Don't worry if it's not 100% blended)
Dump mixture into 8"X8" pan and pat down so it's flat and as even as possible.
Bake for 20 min. at 350F and remove from oven.
- Lemon Filling
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 tbsp. flour
3 tbsp. lemon juice
Beat all filling ingredients together with a whisk.
When shortbread base is out of oven, pour filling over it.
Return to oven and bake for another 20 min. at 350F.
Once cool, sprinkle w/icing sugar (optional).
Whatever you call the type of sugar you would normally make cake icing/frosting with is the kind that's normally used in this recipe. I've never tried it, but I found a site that says you can combine "1 cup granulated sugar + 1 tablespoon corn starch in blender until powdery" - as the equivalent for 1 c. icing/powdered sugar. I'm sure a food processor would work too.
Good luck - let me know if you try it!
Not sure this is what you are looking for, but it is very lemony. It is a bar with a pecan pie like filling with coconut topped with a very lemony icing. We cut them in very small squares to serve. I allso posted this on the running Christmas cookie thread.
Word of Mouth Lemon Coconut Bars
1 1/2 cups flour
3 tablespoons white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
3/4 cup pecan
3/4 cup coconut
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
4 to 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Grated zest of 3 lemons or to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Make crust: In a medium bowl combine flour , white sugar, and salt . Process the butter into this mixture using a pastry blender or fork until it resembles coarse meal. Pat the mixture into an ungreased 13 x 9 x 2 pan (lining bottom with parchment, while not necessary, makes for easier removal.). Bake 15 minutes. Take out to cool.
3. Make filling: In a mixing bowl beat eggs and brown sugar till frothy. Stir in pecans, coconut and vanilla. Pour mixture onto the crust and and bake for 20 to 30 minutes at 350 degrees until firm. (You do not want a soggy middle.)
4. After, baking remove from oven. While still slightly warm make glaze: In a small bowl combine confectioner's sugar, lemon juice and zest and pour on top of slightly warm bars.
5. Let cool completely and cut into 1 x 1 inch bars.