Seeking Great Chicken Entrees and More in the South End/Back Bay
I'm looking for some restaurant recommendations for dinner. I'm a former Bostonian who has been gone for a handful of years and is now out of the loop. Here's what I'm seeking:
- preferably in the South End, but Back Bay is OK too
- nice but not pretentious or precious
- warm, foodie atmosphere preferable to "fancy" atmosphere
- excellent food
- entrees under $30
- at least one standout chicken entree on the menu
- important one - decent sized portions - nowhere where you will leave hungry
- not super loud inside, able to have a conversation without shouting
- takes reservations, and you don't have to wait at the bar for an hour.
by poking around here Hamersley's sounds like it could be a good option. Any other recs?
I may be the only one, but I did not think the chicken at Hamersley's was that great. I've had it twice now, once when the restaurant was busy and once when it was hopping... Both times, the chicken was dry to the point of having that cardboard texture as you chewed, not that crispy on the outside. After the first bad experience, I read a bunch of additional glowing reviews and decided to try it again but my second experience was just as bad as the first time. I realize I might have had two bad incarnations of what may very well be a truly delicious chicken when made right, but given the high relative cost and the fact that I've had much better roast chicken at Union and Eastern Standard for less, I don't think I'll head back and risk the third strike. The roast chicken at Union was particularly good. I even preferred the very simple and classic roast chicken at Petit Robert to Hamersley's, and it is dirt cheap there.