Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Spirits >
Dec 16, 2010 08:36 AM

Inexpensive Calvados suggestions?

Hi, I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive bottle of Calvados that will primarily be used for mixing cocktails (just want something versatile). I have a list of several brands that I can find for $40 or less. I was hoping to get some recommendations. Thanks!

Coquerel VSOP Calvados
Daron Fine Calvados
Roger Groult Reserve Calvados
Chauffe Coeur VSOP Calvados
Noble Dame Calvados
Lecompte Originel Calvados
Lecompte Originel Calvados
Coeur Lion Selection Calvados
Coeur Lion Blanche Calvados

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. The only one on your list that I've tried is Le Compte and it's very good,although I've only used it as a mixer,but like it very much in a Sidecar variant.

    1. Morin Selection is a great mixing one at $22 if you can find it (it's not on your list, but it's pretty abundant in Boston).

      I've had cocktails made with Daron and it has a great apple aroma but is a bit more expensive.

      1 Reply
      1. re: yarm

        I agree that is a great Calvados for the buck.

      2. Calvados Groult Reserve and Chauffe Coeur VSOP are beautiful and artisanaly made by small famillies for generations. I know K&L carries both.

        1 Reply
        1. re: SPIRITLADY

          You dont wanna use Groult that way. It's great stuff, even the entry label. Morin is for mixing.

        2. You might consider Laird's Applejack--a lot less expensive and fine for mixing. I have had most of your choices and they are perfectly good on their own and probably lose their identity if mixed...

          4 Replies
          1. re: penthouse pup

            Actually, I have had Applejack in the past, but I currently use Laird's Bonded in recipes calling for it.

            1. re: penthouse pup

              By the way, how is Calvados drunk on its own?

              1. re: penthouse pup

                We used to buy applejack when it was $9.99, but now that it's $18, we don't bother. It's only 35% apple product with the other 65% being grain neutral (i.e.: flavorless) spirit. So like mixing drinks with 1 part apple brandy and 2 parts vodka.

                For a few bucks more, you can buy Laird's Bonded (4 years in wood, 100 proof) for $22 or a low end Calvados for $20-22.