Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Spirits >
Nov 30, 2010 11:24 PM

Is it possible that MOLD will grow in a DIGESTIF

can the material used to create a digestif give enough base for something to grow on?

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. What is the digestif? Generally speaking, the alcohol and sugar level inhibit life.

    2 Replies
    1. re: Steve_K

      Yes, very little grows over 10% (20 proof).

      What you might be seeing is sediment from ingredients in the liqueur forming large coagulated masses that settle out. This is normal and I've seen it in everything from Rothman & Winter Orchard Apricot to St. Germain (probably more, but many of the bottles or contents are dark). As long as it still tastes and smells good, keep on using it. Although maybe not the last 1/2 oz filled with the crud.

      1. re: Steve_K

        thats what I thought, but its always nice to have someone else confirm these things as well.
        I have a strawberry banana, an almond vanilla, and a cranberry cinnamon in process. Almost a month now... in an 80proof vodka

      2. If the bottle was poorly sealed, and alcohol evaporated, there may well be mold. I have seen it just recently at my folks house when I was cleaning out their basement "wine cellar" (closet under the stairs.)

        Even if the alcohol didn't evaporate, mold can grow in alcohol, there are some very alcohol resistant strains. Even up to 40% abv., many time particulates in spirits and liqueurs are mold.