Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Home Cooking >
Nov 30, 2010 01:05 PM

Special Pommes Frites Knife Cut in Paris


I was in Paris this summer and had a memorable version of pommes frites that I cannot figure out how to replicate. The frites were cut into somewhat u-shaped pieces. They were slightly thicker in the middle (kind of like a little pocket) so it was nice and creamy, but the edges were wonderfully crispy. Sorry if that's confusing...

Does anyone know what this cut is called? I've searched everywhere and can't find anything.


  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. Well, I thought I knew most of the cuts, but this one is not famillar to me. Very possibly it was a special cut of the house, developed by someone who worked there, rather than a typical or classic vegetable cut. Possible the potato was peeled and blocked, cut in half and hollowed or trimmed out, leaving a thicker center, then sliced. Shame you don't have a photo.

    2 Replies
    1. re: bushwickgirl

      I know, I really wish I would have taken a picture. It has been six months and it's still bugging me!

      1. re: genslay

        I bet, it would have bugged me also. I think maybe a larger potato was tournéed, then split, hollowed out and sliced into u shaped pieces. Does that make sense? That's all I can think of...