Can anybody recommend a good pareve cornbread recipe - one they've tried successfully? My wife loves cornbread and wants to make a cornbread stuffing, but has not found a pareve recipe that comes out well (only good pareve cornbread we have found is at Smokey Joe's in Teaneck, and they do not share recipes).
I do it all the time. Use the recipe on the cornmeal box. either Albers or Quaker (they're both very similar)/ Substitute either soy milk, or Mocha Mix for the milk and use oil or melted margarine for the butter. Nothing is as good as butter, but if you use something like melted smart balance it tastes pretty good!
here's a recipe we pareve-ified from allrecipes:
* 1 cup cornmeal
* 1 cup flour
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 tablespoon baking powder
* 2 cups Rice Dream or soymilk with two tablespoons vinegar or lemon juice
* 1 egg
* 1/2 cup corn oil + 2 tablespoons more for skillet
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Combine Rice Dream and vinegar. Let sit for two minutes.
3. Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Set aside.
4. Combine wet ingredients in a large bowl.
5. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet. Stir only until it’s all combined – a few lumps are fine! You don’t want to mix it too much and have tough corn bread!
6. Preheat skillet over high heat for 2 minutes. Pour in oil and coat the bottom and sides of the pan. Return to heat and let sit for another minute. Pour in the batter and cook for about 5 minutes, until bubbles appear on top. Transfer to the oven and bake for 40-50 minutes, until the edges are slightly crispy.
This is from AllRecipes. It is AMAZING- look up Golden Sweet Cornbread
The only change I make (I got this idea from Smokey Joes) is to add froen white corn kernels- sooooo good!
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2/3 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup milk (i obviously use soymilk)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Spray or lightly grease a 9 inch round cake pan.
In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder. Stir in egg, milk and vegetable oil until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
Any good corn bread recipe can be made pareve, as the others have said, with soy or rice milk., and pareve margarine or canola oil. I've been doing it for years.
One warning: if you are baking in the oven using a Pyrex pan, and the recipe calls for melting the margarine in the baking pan, do not let the pan get hot. I'd suggest nuking the margarine. I exploded a pan all over my stove a few years ago when I added the cold batter. No damage, but a 45 min. cleanup and no cornbread erev Thanksgiving! Good luck, p.j.