HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >

Potato Ricer

Wtg2Retire Nov 8, 2010 11:49 AM

I am giving serious consideration to purchasing a potato ricer. What are your thoughtsand brand suggestions, please.

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. z
    ZeroSignal RE: Wtg2Retire Nov 8, 2010 12:55 PM

    Depends do you want a rotary style or a press style?

    6 Replies
    1. re: ZeroSignal
      Wtg2Retire RE: ZeroSignal Nov 8, 2010 02:22 PM

      I did not even know there were two different styles. Please educate me.

      1. re: Wtg2Retire
        Will Owen RE: Wtg2Retire Nov 8, 2010 02:28 PM

        The rotary style is commonly called a "food mill", or even "Foley", which is (or maybe was) the commonest brand. I prefer the simple press ricer for potatoes, as it subjects them to the least amount of working, and so is less likely to develop excess starch.

        There are many available; I have no recommendation, as I get most of such implements second or third hand, at antique malls and estate sales.

        1. re: Will Owen
          Wtg2Retire RE: Will Owen Nov 9, 2010 04:54 AM

          Thanks, Will. I have a food mill, so I guess the press ricer is what I am interested in. I just never thought of using the food mill, duh!

      2. re: ZeroSignal
        scubadoo97 RE: ZeroSignal Nov 8, 2010 03:11 PM

        We have a plastic one like the one shown on this website http://www.kitchenkapersdirect.co.uk/...

        It comes with two plates of different sizes for fine or coarse ricing. I much prefer it to a food mill. A metal one like the plastic one above would be nice. When putting a lot of pressure to get that last bit out I have often thought I would break the plastic but so far it's holding up to many years of use.

        1. re: scubadoo97
          knet RE: scubadoo97 Nov 8, 2010 03:48 PM

          I have one of those in stainless and it is great. I've never tried a food mill on potatoes.

          1. re: knet
            grnidkjun RE: knet Nov 9, 2010 06:25 AM

            I have this in stainless too.. no particular brand. Works fine.

      3. tim irvine RE: Wtg2Retire Nov 8, 2010 04:34 PM

        Tried food mill and the kind that just presses and rice's the taters and hands down the river wins. Faster, easier, better, get one with insertable plates with different size holes and you rarely if ever need a food mill. I smush em with skins on and just pull the remaining skins out with a pointed paring knife.

        1. phofiend RE: Wtg2Retire Nov 8, 2010 05:07 PM

          I have an earlier version of this one from Williams-Sonoma, and am very happy with it.


          This new one seems to have a larger capacity, which may or may not be a good thing, depending on your hand strength.

          1. ZenSojourner RE: Wtg2Retire Nov 9, 2010 04:59 AM

            I have this one:


            It has 2 interchangeable plates.

            Easy to clean, easy to use, allegedly you don't have to peel the potatoes first but I haven't had the nerve to try that.

            1. ursy_ten RE: Wtg2Retire Nov 9, 2010 05:03 AM

              I recently became obsessed and just *had* to have a potato ricer - I read all the reviews from people who swear by them for mashed potatoes. I admit, they *do* make really good mashed potatoes. But I'm lazy, and it's more washing up than the trusty old potato masher... so more often than not, I don't use my ricer. In fact, we had lumpy mashed taters done with the old masher tonight!

              2 Replies
              1. re: ursy_ten
                Duppie RE: ursy_ten Nov 9, 2010 07:18 AM

                I purchased an Ikea ricer for about $20.00 and while it works fine,I've found I rather like the lumpy, home style potatoes better plus I'm not fond of the labor or cleanup with the ricer. So it sits in the drawer along with the garlic press ,marinade injector and curly butter scraper.

                1. re: ursy_ten
                  scubadoo97 RE: ursy_ten Nov 9, 2010 09:29 AM

                  Sometimes you really need a ricer. I also use a wire masher for my mashed potatoes since I too like the rustic nature or lumps, but I recently made potato gnocchi which required the potatoes to be riced. Mashing with the wire masher would have resulted in really poor results.

                2. z
                  ZeroSignal RE: Wtg2Retire Nov 9, 2010 06:53 AM

                  RSVP International #JRSP is a nice S/S press style Ricer

                  1. k
                    Khotso98 RE: Wtg2Retire Nov 9, 2010 09:49 AM


                    1 Reply
                    1. re: Khotso98
                      ZenSojourner RE: Khotso98 Nov 9, 2010 10:43 AM

                      You have to pay them to be able to see that.

                    2. Wtg2Retire RE: Wtg2Retire Nov 9, 2010 12:51 PM

                      Update. I just ordered a Browne-Halco 3RS French style potato ricer. Everything I read said that the French style is much easier on the hands, and that is exactly what I need at this point in my life.

                      1 Reply
                      1. re: Wtg2Retire
                        ZeroSignal RE: Wtg2Retire Nov 9, 2010 01:49 PM

                        Not a bad choice.

                      2. pdxgastro RE: Wtg2Retire Nov 9, 2010 01:12 PM

                        I have one that has holes up the side, as well as the bottom. More potato ricing action!

                        1 Reply
                        1. re: pdxgastro
                          Will Owen RE: pdxgastro Nov 10, 2010 11:47 AM

                          My ancient one is like that - it's basically a perforated cylinder down which a flat pressure plate slides. Then the cylinder can be removed from the frame for cleaning. It does require much more hand strength than the French kind (I use both hands). On the other hand they're quite common in antique malls and flea markets for around $5.

                        2. j
                          jaykayen RE: Wtg2Retire Nov 9, 2010 01:16 PM

                          Food mill.

                          1. c
                            calpurnia RE: Wtg2Retire Nov 10, 2010 01:29 PM

                            BTW, the ricer is great for pressing the water out of frozen spinach or grated potatoes.

                            1. m
                              Matash RE: Wtg2Retire Nov 10, 2010 03:32 PM

                              go for it and buy a ricer i have food mill which i use for applesauce and the ricer is my favourite for taters

                              1. pdxgastro RE: Wtg2Retire Nov 13, 2010 12:46 PM

                                Just watched America's Test Kitchen and they recommend: RSVP Kitchen Classic, cost $12. Comfortable, strong plastic handles with notched lip for putting on a pot or bowl lip.

                                1 Reply
                                1. re: pdxgastro
                                  ZenSojourner RE: pdxgastro Nov 13, 2010 03:37 PM

                                  That's the one I have!


                                Show Hidden Posts