Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > General Topics >
Oct 26, 2010 06:41 PM

help me with American cream

I am from England where there a several types of cream, single, double, extra thick double, Jersey or Guernsey, clotted etc. The cream section of the supermarket is big generally, even the corner shops have a reasonable selection for the most part.

Here in the US there is err well pretty much just heavy cream and whipping cream (I don't mean the stuff in a squirty can). If I want fruit and cream it coats the fruit for a few seconds and then falls off. Is there thicker cream than whipping or heavy cream, are they all so white? Am I just unlucky that the supermarkets in Florida don't carry better quality cream. If I want heavier cream do I have to partially whip what I can get?

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. Smartie- I wish you the best of luck. I work in a good grocery store and we carry all of 2 varieties, neither of which I think will coat a berry. Such creams exist in the U.S., but seem to exist only in commercial kitchens- most of the ones on grocery shelves are somewhere in the realm of 30% fat and often thickened with gelatin or cargeen (a seaweed derived gel). While I worked in kitchens, we had the chance to play with 41% cream.
    I would suggest contacting some of the larger dairies (we used Land o lakes) and see if they distribute their heavier creams near by.

      1. If there's a Trader Joe's around, they carry heavy creams in chiller next to the milks. It's a slender white bottle with a pink top cap ring. If none, try going to a local Latino/Hispanic grocery, they may carry heavy cream sold in cans made by Nestle (may be called media crema) or the brand Cacique crema Mexicana in plastic bottles. It's similar to the cream from Switzerland and I use it all the time with my fruit and desserts.

        1 Reply
        1. re: trvlcrzy

          Yes, this! Cacique crema is certainly available in Florida!

        2. You're not looking for clotted cream, are you? I think that's rather difficult to find in the states.

          If you want good yellow cream, you may have to get it directly from a dairy. There are a few raw milk dairies licensed to operate in the US, I was fortunate enough to have lived near one for many years. Otherwise you may have to make friends with a farmer.

          3 Replies
          1. re: ZenSojourner

            I can find clotted cream at specialty and British stores around me, but it's not what the poster wants. Clotted cream is spreadable, and the cream I think she's looking for (I recall it being called double cream when I was in Britain) isn't something I've seen here commercially. This Wikipedia article says double cream is 48% milkfat, and there's nothing on the US market like that.

            1. re: Chris VR

              no I don't want clotted cream - it can be bought in jars (!!) in Brit specialty stores but it's not the real thing. Yes was looking for a yellowy thicker cream, sigh times like this when I miss Marks and Spencer.
              Florida does have cows and dairies but it's all homogeonized extra pasteurized down here in south Fl.

              1. re: smartie

                The company that makes the clotted cream we get here also packages a double cream. It's in a similar squat jar, but the label's a different color. Similar price, too. :(

          2. I don't think I've ever even seen anything thicker than whipping cream in a Canadian or American dairy section. Things like clotted or Jersey cream I know only from books. What I've usually seen is half and half (10%), plus sometimes an 18% table cream, plus whipping cream. And yes, it's all so white - if it weren't people would bring it back as defective.

            For fruit, I'd go with lightly whipped whipping cream as your best option.

            Where I live now we can get homogenized whole milk and UHT whipping cream, with nothing in between. And the whipping cream is imported from Australia.