Golden Crown Dynasty Cuisine, Richmond Hill - Another GOOD dim sum place for your list!
- Charles Yu Oct 11, 2010 01:09 PM
Another statutory holiday, another Dim Sum lunch! This time at Golden Crown Dynasty Cuisine inside Richlane Mall on 9425 Leslie Street. I'm glad to report - another decent find!
We arrived after the rush so the place was only 3/4 full. Because of its ultra high ceiling, this must be one of the most serene and quiet Chinese restaurant in town!
The four of us had the following:
- Supreme crystal shrimp dumplings ( Har Gau ).
- Steamed chicken feet in special house sauce.
- Braised beef tendons
- B-B-Q pork buns
- Egg tofu and cilantro rice noodle ( cheung fun ).
- Crispy shrimp triangle with fruit salad mayo.
- Crispy shredded chicken and taro spring rolls
- Minced meat taro croquettes
- Stewed five spice tripe and beef innards
- Chiu Chow style pigs stomach, ginko nuts, white peppercorn and preserved mustard green stew.
- Salted porks bone and mustard green rice congee.
- Steamed milk custard with ginger essence.
- Papaya and milk pastry puffs.
- Baked egg custard tart
What we ordered barely scratched the surface of a very extensive and varied dim sum menu!!
Every dishes we ordered border on good to excellent with only one disappointment - the chicken feet, which were not tender enough. Stand outs include the Har Gau which was one of the best I've eaten in TO recently ( Reddragon, this should be better than your Kar Lung Court Har Gau fiasco?! Ha! ). Perfectly steamed with thin and intact skin and crunchy shrimp filling. The Chiu Chow pigs stomach/gongko nut stew, which was very peppery and flavourful. The broth was so good!! The flavourful rice congee with its nice texture was very enjoyable. Love those salted porks bone. However, the real stand out were those 'piping hot' egg tarts. Freshly baked, they were simply amazing!
Holiday pricing is $2.50/$3.50/$4.50 and $5.50 for XL
They do have early bird ( 8:00 to 12:00 ) and afternoon tea ( 2:00 to 4:30 ) specials whence all dim sum is $2.30 across the board!
Our bill with food, tax and tips came to $60.00
Yes! There were indeed some very interesting and uncommon dishes. I need to go back for a second visit too!
Need to try their:
- Crispy Abalone pastry puff
- Smoked ham and taro roll with Thai sauce
- Escargot pie with Portuguese sauce?!
- Layered Mango sponge cake
-Deep fried pig's intestine! ( for lunch?! )
- Fried white smeltings with pepper spicy salt
-Taiwanese stirred fry
- Deep fry crispy dumpling with minced meat and peanuts ( chewy, yes but not crispy?! )
May be I'll bump into you?!
I haven't had dim sum here in a while but this is a fav haunt of my pops. He knows the gm there and you know how that goes w/ older Chinese people. They love to shoot the ish w/ the gm and get them discounts.
The last time I had dim sum there it was avg at best, but I've been for dinner w/ my pops and had some decent dishes. Perhaps we got preferrential treatment as a result of his friendship...
I still don't know the full story behind why this plaza is "haunted".
Ah! So you knew about the washroom at the basement too!!
Well, with most dim sum places quality going downhill these days, I'll settle for good average products provided quality is 'consistent'! Besides, its something different from the usual list of Yasng's Emperor, Casa's....etc. And LWH is way too far!
The restaurant itself my parents have been going to since the place opened since they're good friends with the owner. In the beginning we found the food to be really, good, but lately it's hit or miss. But the one dish that all of you should try would be the shrimp dumplings with XO sauce on top.
As for the haunted bathroom, my cousin's fiance has seen the top half of a male figure dressed in army fatigue.
Charles, thanks for alerting me to this place....my chowpal and I (he is recovering from spinal surgery and this was his first time out of the house except for medical appts.) went for dim sum today...very enjoyable and lots of room for him to manoeuvre his walker!!!!). We enjoyed everything we ordered..