Visiting Houston from DFW
Everything in Kemah feels like a corporate-owned chain to me, so I wouldn't eat there unless you have to.
If you're staying in the downtown area, you have a lot of great options. I recommend that you check out the following:
For a nice dinner:
- Stella Sola
- Dolce Vita or Da Marco (same owner but Dolce Vita more casual and Da Marco more fancy)
- Brennan's (I haven't been since they reopened after a major fire and hope they've recovered fully)
- Gravitas (some say it's hit-or-miss - I've generally gotten hits)
For lunches or fast dinners:
- Banh Mi - I like Les Givrals in Midtown, but others prefer Cali Sandwiches
- Jenni's Noodle House
- If you're thinking of venturing out to other parts of the city, I could recommend great falafel, south indian, guatemalan, plus a bunch of others -- but it's a trek from downtown.
1520 Westheimer, Houston, TX 77006
3701 Travis Street, Houston, TX 77002
801 Congress St Ste 101, Houston, TX 77002
516 Westheimer Rd, Houston, TX 77006
Jenni's Noodle House
3111 S Shepherd Dr, Houston, TX 77098
1001 Studewood, Houston, TX 77008
T-Bone Tom's for the armadillo eggs. Jalapenos stuffed with chopped brisket, battered and fried. Delicious!!
Floyd's for some great fried seafood and good cajun dishes (don't waste your time on the dirty rice but everything else I've had there is really good including fried frog legs).
Ate at Pappasito's in Clear Lake yesterday, it was awful. Cafe Adobe in Clear Lake isn't as good as the other locations and we've taken it off our "list".
There are some decent places on the Kemah Boardwalk to eat and it's fun to see. The Babin's there has not been as good since Landry's bought it. We haven't been to the Boardwalk in awhile, we just eat at T-Bone Tom's right before you turn in to go to the Boardwalk. If I were going there, I'd probably choose Cadillac Bar and Grill for some fajitas.
There used to be a wonderful seafood place called Joe Lee's on the Boardwalk. It's moved and I haven't been there in a long time but it was really good.
If I were in the Museum District, I would hop on over to El Tiempo on Washington. I know, I know, I always recommend El Tiempo. But after you have their crab quesadillas, you'll know why.
Joe Lee's Seafood Kitchen Restaurant
1108 Marina Bay Dr, Kemah, TX 77565
El Tiempo Cantina
5602 Washington Ave, Houston, TX 77007
Floyd's Cajun Seafood House
20760 Gulf Fwy at Nasa Rd 1, Webster, TX 77598
T-Bone Tom's Meat Mkt Steakhouse Restrnt
707 Highway 146, Kemah, TX 77565