Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >
Aug 21, 2010 09:43 AM

What is this thing? (Some kind of grilling accessory / attachment)

I saw this contraption on this blog --

It was used in conjunction with a butane burner to grill pork for Vietnamese pork.

It looks like the function is to allow the meat to come in direct contact with the flame, so I guess it differs from the usual stovetop grill pan. But how is it different than a broiler?

Can anyone tell me what it is and where I can find one (either online or in NYC)? Can you use it over a regular burner? Are there any other uses for it apart from grilling thin slices of meat?

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. I t looks like a grill dome, for the lack of a better term that is used over a table top butane burner commonly used for grilling Korean marinated meats,{ ie:Kalbi}.
    The trough around the edge is filled with water to catch any grease that comes off the grilled meat.
    I bought mine at Hong Kong market in Chinatown many years ago,but I got the version with a nonstick surface and it has held up quite well over the years.

    1 Reply
    1. re: Duppie

      Thanks, I will check it out next time I am in Chinatown!