Overrun with ripe avocados. What to do besides guac or salad?
What to do besides guac, salad, cocatel, or poke? Thanks.
avocado soup! here is one of many variations: http://recipeisland.com/blog1/recipe-...
smear on a smoked turkey sandwich.
eggs florentine with avocado sauce: http://bethsjourney.com/2010/05/07/eg...
vietnamese avocado smoothie: http://www.whats4eats.com/beverages/s...
avocado sauce for fish tacos: http://www.cooking-mexican-recipes.co...
DItto on the avocado soup- Sara Foster has a fantastic one called Chilled Avocado Soup out of her Fresh Everyday Cookbook... I made it all the time in the summer when avocados are in the house long enough that we have too many (rarely happens sadly. I love avocados)
3 ripe Haas Avocados, peeled, pitted and roughly chopped
1 med cucumber, peeled, seeded, roughly chopped
5 scallions, roughly chopped (white and green parts)
2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
4c chicken or veggie broth
1c well-shaken buttermilk
Grated zest & juice of 2 limes
1c spinach leaves, stems removed, washed and drained
1/4c fresh cilantro leaves, plus more for garnish
2 t sea salt, plus more to toaste
1/2t freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
Put avocado, cucumber, scallions, garlic, 1c chicken broth, buttermilk, lime zest, lime juice, spinach, cilantro, 2t salt, and 1/2t pepper in bowl of food processor fitted with a metal blade or jar of a blender and process until smooth. (Depending on size of the food processor, you may need to go in batches)
Pour soup into large plastic container. Gradually stir in remaining broth until soup reaches a smooth, soupy consistency. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Cover and chill for 1 hour. Best served day it's made.
- Use them as a spread for sandwiches instead of mayo
- Mash with salt and pepper, smear on a fresh, warm corn tortilla, wrap and eat
- Tomato, avocado, fresh mozz, drizzle of olive oil, salt and peper
- Eat straight out of the shell, drizzle of italian or french dressing if desired
- Blend with yogurt, garlic seasonings to taste and use as a sauce for firm white fish or seafood
- Salad dressing
- Chilled soup
- BLT + avocado
- Add chopped peaches, apricots, plums and mango to guacamole, top with pomegranate seeds for a variation
- Compound butter
- Chopped pink grapefruit + chopped avocado + chopped peanuts + cilantro or mint
- Visit Calavo Avocado (California Avocado Growers Assoc) page for more ideas - http://www.calavo.com/recipes.php