Maui Great Eats
In Maui for 1 week with the family, we just LOVED our meal and service at Sansei last evening. any other awesome places to dine, no limit on price however needs to be family friendly?
I think I remember every place on Maui being family-friendly. Although some of them were pricier establishments, I remember seeing a few kids at each restaurant. Here are some of the nicers places we went to last year:
Merrimans - great food, great ambiance, fantastic service, saw plenty of kids here.
Spago @ Four Seasons - food not so great, ambiance and service were great though
Lahaina Grill - it's quite noisy and bustling for dinner, and not as large as some other places so it may not be as kid friendly as the above two, but the food and service are both wonderful here, and I did see some kids out for dinner.
Mama's Fish House - definitely the quintissential "Hawaiian" restaurant - lots of Tiki torches, beautiful view, delicious mai tais and prices to match. However it's a wonderful experience that we enjoyed.
Haiimaile General Store - One of Bev Gannon's restaurants, this was was really cute and quaint. We went for lunch and it was wonderful. Have not tried any of her other places.
If you want more casual options:
Zippy's - diner type atmosphere but very family friendly
Sam Sato's - dive-y diner type place, often crowded, lots of local families, yummy dry noodles
Cafe O'Lei - it's in-between fine dining and casual dining, but it's very popular. We went to the one in Kihei and it was packed. Food was good and plentiful, service spotty
If you're visiting Haleakala crater and want a place to stop for brunch after sunrise, Kula Lodge is one of the few places to go to, large tables, family friendly, great pancakes. The restaurant itself is a bit old and shabby but everyone was friendly and the view is absolutely amazing.
Hope this helps!
127 Lahainaluna Rd., Lahaina Maui, HI 96761
1750 Wili PA Loop, Wailuku, HI 96793
3900 Wailea Alanui Dr, Kihei, HI 96753
If you are going to be in the Wailuku area, maybe exploring the 'Iao Needle and Valley with your kids, have lunch at A Saigon Cafe. Our family probably had more fun there and laughed more than any other place we went on the island! And the food is delicious! The owner and his son welcomed, educated, entertained and served us like we were old family friends. My husband and I had eaten there a year ago and we returned with our family last week for the delicious Vietnamese flavors like the the sizzling clay pot entrees, very good pho noodle soups, and the fried spring rolls that you wrap in herbs and lettuce before dipping. Order the "make you own Vietnamese burritos" (can't remember the Vietnamese name) and they will do a lovely table-side demonstration for you. My son who ordered it said it was too good to share and it must have been because he devoured every last crumb and morsel. I'm new to this site and haven't read others' reviews yet. We hear it can be very busy, we've only been there for lunch, but got right in and had great service both times. It's one of the few places we ate that wasn't ocean front, and you don't go for the decor, it's a bit of a dive, but a great place for a change of pace. There is no sign, they say they're too busy to put one up.
A Saigon Cafe
1792 Main St, Wailuku, HI 96793
We have been to Maui several times and I wanted to update our "great eats" that we have found over the years.
1. sansei--fusion japanese.
2. hulu grill--hawaii regional cusine. super kid friendly. great views.
3. merriman's kapalua--farm to table. my favorite rest. in maui, expensive, super view.
4. pacific O--hawaii regional cusine, farm to table. good food. too pricey.
5. star noodle--japanese. great value! odd locatoion, wonderful food. ramen and noodles. my favorite find of 2011. getting great reviews. seems to be more of a local place.
6. fish market--wonderful fish sandwiches and fish tacos. they don't have the lobster roll any longer.
7. mama's fish house--need to go back, still a favorite, wonderful view, fresh fish.
8. Paia fish market--casual, great fish plates. the mahi mahi fish and chips are killer!
9. gazebo--no longer a secret, that the travel channel, great for breakfast. decent prices.
10. pineapple grill--good food, expensive.
11. Haiimaile General Store--another one of our favs, super food. farm to table, near the airport, usually our last great meal in maui. i loved their BBQ last time!
12. cheeseburger in paradise--fun for kids, over priced hamburgers. great view!
I would not recommend the sea house in napili, just not as good as it once was, too bad as it has a super location.