Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Manhattan >
Aug 1, 2010 12:48 PM

Where to find/buy a hanging wrought/cast iron dish/glassware rack?

I've exhausted every website, friend and store I can think of but have yet to locate a vendor who sells hanging wrought/cast iron dish racks.

I'm trying to find the kind of dish rack that mounts flat to a wall, or hangs from the ceiling, has two vertical rods on the edges then 3 or 4 horizontal racks where dishes stand vertically on display. If you can imagine this, when you're facing the rack you're looking at the face of a dish. The dishes line up side by side along the length of shelf. Some shelves hold glassware, some hols dishes. It's kind of industrial or commercial looking, and definitely made out of a metal like iron.

Does anyone know where I can locate this kind of rack? I've definitely seen them before but of course now that I have the perfect place to put one can't find them again.

Thank you!

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. Is this what you have in mind?

    Have you tried Broadway Panhandler
    65 East 8th Street
    New York, NY 10003
    (212) 966-3434

    Sur La Table

    Broadway Panhandler
    65 E 8th St, New York, NY 10003

    Sur La Table
    75 Spring St, New York, NY 10012

    2 Replies
    1. re: pbjluver

      Thanks for the tips but unfortunately that's not it. Those are pot racks where the pots hang down in the air. What I'm talking about has shelves and the glasses/dishes rest on the shelves, and pots won't fit on the shelves because they're thin. The shelves hang from iron rods, the rods are either mounted flush to the wall or they hang from the ceiling and the shelves run between them. Imagine an 'H' shape but with multiple crossbars (shelves). The legs of the H are the iron rods.

      1. re: jen_om

        are you in NYC?
        if so, go down to the Bowery kitchen supply area
        go with a picture or a drawing of the shelves