House smells after dripped fat burns
I overfilled a shepherd's pie about 3 days ago and the fat dripped into the oven for about 20 minutes before I realized. I opened the oven door, nearly choked on smoke inhalation, turned off the oven took out the food and finally managed to clean the oven.
But the house still stinks of burnt stuff. What can I use to deodorize the house - I have tried microwaving tarragon and rosemary in water but that hasn't helped, I have sprayed the air, vacuumed bicarb of soda into the carpets, windexed glass surfaces but I am stuck. Would be grateful for suggestions because it is awful.
simmer a pot of white vinegar on the stove...or if you can't tolerate the smell of that, do cider vinegar with some warming spices (e.g. cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, orange zest) in it.
the odor may also be clinging to fabric upholstery, window treatments, towels hanging in the bathroom, or even linens in the closet...deodorize everything you can think of that might be harboring it!
oh, and use a vinegar or lemon-based degreaser to wipe down ALL surfaces in the kitchen, because when that smoke poured out of the oven, the microscopic particles settled everywhere.
ETA: you could also bake up a batch of something sweet - the odor usually permeates the house pretty well. in fact, i had to use the boiled vinegar trick a few weeks ago because i baked up a huge batch of Maple-Fig granola and the house REEKED of maple syrup. the sickly sweet smell really started to get to me after about 24 hours.
And don't forget to really wash the ceiling! That vaporized grease is stuck there. You'll be astonished at how dirty it is. Use a swiffer covered with a thin dishtowel that you've soaked in dishwashing soap (or any liquid detergent) and water. Rinse well. It's a PITA, but will help a lot.
Also febreze the furniture and keep windows open as much as you can.