Berlin - I need restaurant recommendations, insider knowledge :-)
I will be travelling to Berlin for a week at the end of July - staying in Mitte - so I have a couple of questions:
1. Is there a mass closure of restaurants a la Paris during August? If so, are there some that remain open which are especially of note?
2. Can anyone recommend some nice places with terraces to eat out on? For a beer garden i was thinking of Prater but perhaps soomeone could recommend an upmarket place
3. What do people think of the following as a roll call of restos for my trip:
I don''t want to do the Michelin star thing - I'm looking to eat some german food and see the local take on other cuisines
Any help would be greatly appreciated
2. Has been answered by TK. I love Prater, but it's decidedly not "upmarket" (kinda defeats the idea of a beergarden I guess, being a casual thing and such). You might also like Lemke in the S-Bahnbögen near Hackescher Markt. The beer is good, one can sit outside and look at large groups of tourists.
3. I haven't been to Schneeweiss in a very, very long time. I loved it when they first opened, b/c it was really very well executed food at *very* budget-friendly prices. But then, at each following vist, something inevitably wasn't right -- food overdone, food underdone, etc. etc. Plus the service can be a bit slow, as can be the case with the 'hipper' places in town.
If you want really good German food at non-fancy prices, check out Renger-Patzsch in Schöneberg or Altes Europa in Mitte. Oderquelle used to be good, but I haven't been in a while either so can't vouch for it. Hartmanns in Kreuzberg is also good, as is Horvath.
Margaux has outstanding food, but I find the atmosphere a tad bit stuffy (plus I believe it has one Michelin star). Have you considered Weinbar Rutz, Paris-Moskau, or Traube?
Paparazzi remains one of my favorite Italian restos in Berlin, and I have rarely been disappointed. The pasta is simply fantastic.
Edd's has the best Thai food in town.
Bandol sur mer has been recommended in another post mentioned upthread, but I was highly disappointed. Perhaps having had Brangelina stop in for a quick meal two years ago went to their heads.
Also avoid: Fleischerei, and pretty much any resto on Oranienburger Str.
Feel free to ask follow-up questions!
2. As you are staying in Mitte I would suggest the Georgbrau over the Prater. The beer is better and the terrace is on the banks of the Spree. It is a little American Brewpubish but the terrace is nice and as I said the beer is much better.
If you make it to Schloss Charlottenburg I would visit the Luisen Brau across the street for a beer.