Romantic Restaurant Downtown Toronto
I'm looking for a romantic restaurant in the dowtown Toronto area. I just moved to the city so I'm not very familiar with any of the restuarants. This restaurant needs to be romantic - and by romantic I mean charming and picturesque. I find a lot of the so called romantic restaurants to be super fancy and stuffy. Super fancy is ok as long as it's not stuffy. So fantastic food and romantoic charm. I welcome any suggestions!
I think that perhaps you're looking for smaller, more intimate or "secret" spots vs. the fancy, crumb scraping romance of Auberge (and I'm not knocking the restaurant or the food, just noting that it is a more formal approach to romance). A few spots that might be worth investigating...
- In your neighbourhood-ish, I think L'Unita is reasonably romantic (Italian) and the backyard patio at Caren's is quite charming.
- I think Starfish is quite romantic for seafood. We like to sit at the bar and drink champers while we watch them shuck oysters... this is perhaps not everyone's idea of romance but I think it's intimate and fun. We also like the zinc bar at Le Select (and the patio is nice too).
- I haven't been to The Beast yet, but that patio is one of the most charming and romantic spots I know
- La Palette in Kensington is kinda romantic in a boho-y, French way
- Julie's Cuban has a certain romance since it's tucked onto a neighbourhood street with all those little white lights
- Others might disagree with these picks, but I think that Five Doors North has a loud and buzzy intimacy that can lead to romance... especially since you can share small plates (Italian). And I think the Swan on Queen West has a romantic coziness if you can tuck yourself into one of those booths.
Five Doors North
2088 Yonge St, Toronto, ON M4S2A3, CA
432 Wellington St W, Toronto, ON M5V1E3, CA
134 Avenue Rd, Toronto, ON M5R2H6, CA
202 Dovercourt Rd, Toronto, ON M6J3C8, CA
492 Queen St W, Toronto, ON M5V, CA
Auberge Du Pommier is always what I picture as a Romantic Restaurant. Think of a French Cottage and you'll get the idea. The patio is nice too... except for muggy days like today!
http://www.foodpr0n.com -- food. is. love.
Auberge Du Pommier
4150 Yonge Street, Toronto, ON M2P 2C6, CA
what is your price range? or type of cuisine?
there are LOTS of nice romantic spots. depending on your style, there could be a variety of neighborhoods too.
starting from the west end of the downtown core, little italy's always nice and romantic. so are some restaurants in kensington market (such as torito tapas). further south there's king west and queen west, which has a wide range of price ranges and cuisines. there's baldwin street, which has a lot of its own character. if you go north to bloor, there are pricier options in the yorkville area. there's also the distillery district down by parliament and the lake. and then further east there's danforth as well.
a lot of the places i've listed are in cozy neighborhoods where you can take a stroll after dinner and get some dessert or catch a movie or hit up a bar/lounge/club.
if it's the weekend i'd always like to eat down by king/queen west and hit up either a lounge down there or a jazz bar (there are several in the area). or if i'm eating up at yorkville, i like to head up to the roof top lounge at the hyatt (i highly recommend the view up there - i think it's much nicer, more romantic, and less commercialized/business like than panorama across the street).
anyways, just throwing some ideas out there for ya...would probably be able to give more specific ideas with more details.
re: Piggy Smalls
i am at yonge & bloor - but am definitely ok with eating in a different area of town. as long as it's fairly accessible (cab or subway/streetcar).
in terms of price range, i'd say up to or about $100 per person, give or take.
cusine - seafood, italian, steak, canadian/american. the only foods that are not an option are spanish or mexican.
the most important elements for me are the atmosphere. i really don't want one of those stuffy, fancy restaurants. i'd love to find a place with great food, that is charming, and has character.
not sure if this helps any?
i don't have a lot of parameters