La Chronique review...
I got invited to "La Chronique" for my birthday; I live close to the restaurant, but never managed to get in to try it out, and that was the great occasion to try it.
It was one of their special night "Menu Chef et Sommelier" that, from what I understand do about once a month; I think they serve only one menu for the whole restaurant and it's a special menu pairing food and wine (or is it the other way around).
The theme of the evening was "Subtils Mariages des Saveurs" and looking at the menu could have been subtitled, "surf'n'turf" since all the items were a mix of seafood/fish and meat (except for the dessert!)
5 services in total; I will not write down the whole items descriptions, it could be long, only the main ingredients (in french-glish).
1. escargots & saucisse chipolata : it was a variation of a cesar salad with grilled Romaine lettuce, very fun combination; served with a Vouvray "Les Argiles" 2007 (François Chidaine).
2. Shredded "chicken" wing with Aile de Raie served on lentils : very rustic and "automnal" the fish perfectly cooked (like all the other items of the menu) paired well with the lentils; served with a Vin de Table "La Chaussée Rouge" 2008 of the domaine "La Grange Aux Belles" (_very_ good quaffer).
3. Fish soup with Veal cheeks : under a crust dome, again, quite rustic, but the veal with the fish soup was well done and the flavours were spot on! I can see myself eating that in the south of France.
This was served with a "Bourgogne a.c. Chardonnay 2007 from Henry Germain, the Sommelier, Pier-Alexis Soulière told us that this was is made with young vines that are not yet "ready" to be used for his Meursault. The waiter was happy enough to serve us a glass of that Meursault (cannot remember what is was exactly), but it was stellar (both of the wines were very good).
4. Veal liver & Filet de Doré de lac : not something you see everyday! veal liver with mushrooms and the fish with small veggies from M. Birri. Very good and like my friend told me, she was served liver once a week when a kid, but she ate something else, but now she was happy to try it again and she liked it! Served with a Faugère "Les Transhumance" 2007 Domaine Cottebrune.
5. dessert, red fruits, chocolate and asparagus and litchi ice cream! the Asparagus were candied (confit) and that was quite a surprised, and it went very well with the litchi. Served with a vin pétillant naturel "Jour de Fête" from Marie and Vincent Tricot, made from Gamay (and low in alcool, 9-ish%) it's in the same style as the "Bugey Cerdon" or the "On Z'ou".
all that for a wayne gretzky, wine included (yeah cheap reference to not put a actual price of the menu)
It was a very good dinner, a few good surprises in some combinations, and a very good selection of wine (to my taste). I don't know how that particular menu reflects the normal tasting menu (or menu items), but it was nice and will probably go back.
I'm really glad to hear this.
I have a friend who works as a Somm/Waiter there and says those nights are really fun to plan and serve!
We had two great meals at La Chronique. They do wine by the glass of of their entire wine list and it was amazing. We had a lunch-I had the best filet ever. We had a dinner and had the tasting menu. It was great, and extremely skilled and elegant preparation. Definately better than Togue.