Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > U.K./Ireland >
Jul 12, 2010 12:09 PM

Looking for thin wrap/tortilla type..last seen in asda

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can help. I used to buy in Asda a vacuum packed square packet of very thin type of wraps or flatbread. I think they were actually round but packed into a square package (folded over) but a huge round cicle, very thin. I seem to recall the only ingredients were flour and water. Well, asda stopped doing them and I must have asked in over a dozed greek, turkish, cypriot type shops and no-one knows what I'm talking about. If only I could even know the name of them it would help. If anyone knows anywhere in London that stocks them, I'd be so grateful!

Many thanks.

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. It sounds like Marqouq or Lebanese flat bread. This is a very thin, almost paper like bread, and is quite different to the thicker pitta you get in Greek, Turkish, or Cypriot places places. Try a Lebanese deli.

    3 Replies
    1. re: PhilD

      Thanks so much, yes, it's paper thin. Never been to a Lebanese restaurant or deli so no wonder I haven't been able to find it! Do you know of such a deli in London by any chance? Might not be the sort of thing I can easily find on google, but will try ;o)

      1. re: panda444

        Green Valley is a Middle Eastern supermarket on Upper Berkeley St. - Marylebone. I once found something there I'd been looking for, and they might have the thin wraps.

        1. re: zuriga1

          Thanks, I'll try there first, otherwise Edgeware Rd seems to be the area I need.

    2. You may find it called "lavash". I've seen a round form in middle eastern shops near me (although more usually it's a large rectangle).

      2 Replies
      1. re: Harters

        Interesting... in the States, lavash is a dry cracker-type thing.

        1. re: zuriga1

          Hmm I spoke to a friend about it, and they thought it might be this "lavash" and brought me some from an eastern european deli place, but it isn't, what they got me is round and thicker, more like a tortilla.. Having googled the thin Lebanese bread I'm sure that's what I'm seeking and will be in London looking for it tomorrow.. Thanks to everyone who responded.