Tell me some food blogs with great photography, please!
I've been cooking for about 6 months now, and all of the cookbooks I've either bought or inherited lack the visuals I need to turn from a novice to someone with more skills. I'm one of those ADD kids that needs constant visual stimulation to get anything done, I'm afraid. (Visual stimulation and a regular dose of Adderall, that is.)
Which food blogs would you recommend to someone that likes pretty, pretty pictures to match up with some well-written recipes? I've been searching around Google and the like and haven't come up with much.
Haha, you sound like my brother! He's so smart, but if you're not regularly keeping him entertained, he zones out quickly.
Here are my favorite blogs from a visual standpoint:
Spoon With Me http://spoonwithme.wordpress.com/
- She's a fairly new blogger, having just started in February, but her site looks so promising. I found her when I was looking for variations on my favorite new recipe, No Knead Bread, and was impressed with what I saw.
Steamy Kitchen http://steamykitchen.com/
- Quite possibly my favorite blog in terms of pictures. Go look at the galleries of her recipes alone and you'll see what I mean. I don't know if she processes them in Photoshop or what, but they're really beautiful.A nice variety of healthy but fun meals to try, with Asian, French, Indian, Spanish, Greek, and Italian recipes.
Smitten Kitchen http://smittenkitchen.com/
- Another huge favorite! She looks at food like art, and does a lot of clean close-ups of everything from breathtaking baskets of strawberries to shots of her hands forming tart dough. Bonus: Seriously adorable pictures of her beautiful, smiley baby boy!
Serious Eats http://www.seriouseats.com/
- Colorful with great commentary, you'll find more than just recipes here. I love their columns, taste tests, and their active community.
- Mainly a baking site with a small collection of savory recipes as well. You can't NOT look at her photos and swoon; everything she snaps a shot of, I instantly want to make.
Pioneer Woman http://thepioneerwoman.com/ and her cooking community Tasty Kitchen http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitc...
- I should warn that some here on Chow don't care for Ree Drummond, the creator of both sites and the PW cookbook. Her dishes aren't the height of gourmet sophistication, but when I'm looking for a break from my favorite French recipes or am tired of seafood and sushi, I turn to her page for some simple home cooking. Also, she's hilarious, and doesn't take herself seriously in the slightest. Her photos are wonderful, and she really helps beginning cooks by following a step-by-step commentary.
"Pioneer Woman http://thepioneerwoman.com/ and her cooking community Tasty Kitchen http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitc...
- I should warn that some here on Chow don't care for Ree Drummond, the creator of both sites and the PW cookbook. Her dishes aren't the height of gourmet sophistication, but when I'm looking for a break from my favorite French recipes or am tired of seafood and sushi, I turn to her page for some simple home cooking. Also, she's hilarious, and doesn't take herself seriously in the slightest. Her photos are wonderful, and she really helps beginning cooks by following a step-by-step commentary."
I second this. And a pox on those CHers who don't care for Ree!
I appreciate your time, helpful links and sympathies towards my ADD-addled brain. :P
And Pioneer Woman's photos look beautiful. Chow snobs need to get over themselves, honestly. I almost quit the first night I signed up for this place, because one guy was so damn pretentious.
Anyway, I'm on Steamy Kitchen now and I can't...stop...gazing...sensory overload! Thanks a million, Jadore.
i enjoy and have bookmarked:
chez pim http://www.chezpim.com/blogs/
cream puffs in venice http://www.creampuffsinvenice.ca/
straight from the farm http://straightfromthefarm.net/
leite's culinaria http://leitesculinaria.com/17592/recipes-salt-cod-potato-spread.html
cupcake bake shop by chokylit http://cupcakeblog.com/
the wednesday chef http://www.thewednesdaychef.com/the_wednesday_chef/
cafe chocolada http://www.cafechocolada.blogspot.com/
culinary in the country http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/2009/12/savory-homemade-crackers.html
matt bites http://mattbites.com/
stephen cooks http://www.stephencooks.com/
rasa malaysia for easy asian recipes from various countries/cuisines http://rasamalaysia.com/recipe-fried-shrimp-balls-with-wonton/
ooh, this cherry tea cakes is a very promising new-to-me blog: http://www.cherryteacakes.com/2010/05/peach-fritters-with-peach-honey-syrup.html
and the best photos are in:
minimally invasive http://chimeraobscura.com/mi/category/vegetables/
that's enough for now! ;-).
oops, i forgot cake wrecks! http://www.cakewrecks.com/
and if you're in the mood for guffawing: http://www.cakewrecks.com/2010/07/the-men-of-marvel.html
but i totally lost it with "let freedome ring." http://www.cakewrecks.com/2010/07/wha...