HOME > Chowhound > General Topics >

Korean Meat

paprkutr Jul 5, 2010 05:33 PM

A friend used to go to a korean bbq where she got meat that was sliced but not all the way through and was shaped like a fan. It was already cooked when she got it. Does anyone know what this dish is called? TIA

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. asiansupper RE: paprkutr Jul 14, 2010 09:48 AM

    Was it beef, do you know?

    1. Miss Needle RE: paprkutr Jul 14, 2010 12:03 PM

      It's probably kalbi (beef short ribs). It comes in different cuts, but this sounds like the cut I used to eat growing up at home. My mom would buy English cut short ribs and butterfly them before marinating.

      1 Reply
      1. re: Miss Needle
        greygarious RE: Miss Needle Jul 14, 2010 01:02 PM

        Saw this done yesterday on Primal Grill, on PBS Create. He first ran the knife along the bone but not all the way through, unfolded like a book, and repeated the butterfly cut two more times. yielding a long narrow strip of meat with the bone at one end.

      2. p
        paprkutr RE: paprkutr Jul 14, 2010 05:55 PM

        Yes it is beef, does anyone know where we can get it in the Los Angeles area?

        2 Replies
        1. re: paprkutr
          hannaone RE: paprkutr Jul 15, 2010 07:09 PM

          Any Korean market with an in-house meat cutter should have both the LA cut (a thin strip with three to four oval bones), and the traditional "butterfly" cut.

          1. re: paprkutr
            banjoboy RE: paprkutr Jul 15, 2010 08:50 PM

            I really like the butcher counter at the Galleria Grocery Store, on the basement level of the Galleria. It's on the SE corner of Western and Olympic.

          Show Hidden Posts