Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Minneapolis-St. Paul >
Jul 4, 2010 01:01 PM

where to find dry curd cottage cheese

A friend's mom is looking for dry curd cheese or dry curd cottage cheese used to make pierogies. She indicated she can no longer find it in the conventional grocery stores. Any suggestion? Whole foods? The co-ops? Thanks, I'm just too lazy to drive around to search for it when I know there's gotta be a 'hound out there that will have this information. Thanks!

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. Coops frequently will have it -- or farmer cheese, which probably could be pressed into service if you can't find exactly what you're looking for.

    You don't say where "friend's mom" lives, but if there's a Russian or eastern European grocery nearby, they should have it. I know of groceries in the St. Paul and St. Louis Park areas and maybe Burnsville? Kramarczuk's might have it, too.

    2 Replies
    1. re: steve_in_stpaul

      Thanks Steve.
      They live NE so I'll have them check at Kramarczuk's. Is farmer cheese and dry curd the same thing?

      1. re: sweet thang

        They're quite similar. Farmer cheese typically is pressed into a brick shape and it might contain just a *tad* less moisture than dry-curd cottage cheese. But it should work really well for pierogies.