HOME > Chowhound > Japan >
Jun 27, 2010 01:37 PM

Sushi bar "ledge" <== Need Japanese word for this.


When you sit at a sushi bar, you face the seafood cooler and have a counter in front of you with your plates and chopsticks and so forth.

Between your counter and the cooler is a raised ledge, where the sushi chef will serve you, and from which you will pluck the goodies. What is the Japanese word for this ledge? (If you can paste kanji into your reply, what, if any, kanji represent this ledge?)

Thank you!

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. I'm sure there is a more formal official word for it...but the more modern word is in japlish...its basically "Kauntah"

    3 Replies
    1. re: dingaling

      But that's the word for the counter itself. Not the ledge specifically,

      1. re: foreignmuck

        Same thing....
        where you eat is the counter, where they put the food is the counter.
        No way the japanese can say ledge...

        1. re: dingaling

          I asked three sushi chefs about this and nobody had a name for it. I don't know that there's a commonly used term for it. If it's really important you may have to ask a Japanese carpenter who builds a lot of sushi bars.

    2. according to Japanese Wikipedia it's called Tsukedai (付け台).

      10 Replies
      1. re: hmw0029

        Interesting, -dai like "daidokoro" (kitchen)! This site mentions that usage of terms like tsukedai or tsukejou have fallen in favor of "counter": http://d.hatena.ne.jp/GaryBarlow/2007...

        1. re: graceface

          Would you be so kind as to disambiguate this for me? Are tsukedai and tsukejou synonymous? That is, does tsukejou also refer to the ledge? And, if possible, could you post the kanji for tsukejou (if you can't, is the kanji for "jou" the kanji for "ue" or the kanji for what word? I'll even take a radical and a total stroke count.)

          Thank you!

          1. re: snootcity

            I'm certainly no expert, but judging from the description on the URL I posted, tsukedai and tsukejou appear to be synonymous. It's listed as 付け場 (場 as in "place").

        2. re: hmw0029

          I am confused. Observe PDF from Hokkaido regarding sushi...
          It refers to the tsukedai as the plate (which can be a geta), but the reference number in the image lands squarely on the ledge.

          1. re: snootcity

            What I read as "tsukejou" is probably "tsukeba" as pointed out in that brochure (場 being either ば or チョウ・ジョウ), proving that I'm most *definitely not* an expert :)

            1. re: graceface

              my understanding is that Tsukeba(付け場) is the place they prep sushi. Tsukeba and tsukedai are not the same. Wiki also says "in recent years, sushi chefs don't place sushi directly onto Tsukedai but serve on a geta (a flat wooden plate with 'teeth') instead".
              here's a very short description by an online dictionary
              I can't read the PDF because my Adobe reader doesn't support Japanese.. sorry!

              1. re: hmw0029


                Now that we have all of these (katakana) "countahs," it appears the chef works at the "tsukeba" and places food on the raised ledge called a "tsukedai."

                So, what is the name of the counter where you have your plates,
                drinks, chopsticks, oshibori, and elbows?

                Thank you!

                1. re: snootcity

                  seems like the 'kaunta-' itself is fairly new (since it sort of transformed from eating straight from the tsukedai, while standing up) so there is no Japanese word for it. Sushi with raw fish is also pretty recent in the history of sushi.

                  1. re: hmw0029

                    This is a great twist on my original post! You suggest the ledge *is* the counter. And the counter, where diners rest their elbows, is the thing going unnamed. A thing that came *after* the ledge and brought with it seats for the previously standing patrons.

                    Since the counter area, where the plates and drinks and oshibori might be, is perhaps the most recent addition to the sushi bar, the question becomes this: The chef prepares on the "tsukeba" and the patron eats standing from the "tsukedai": What is the name of the recently added counter area for those plates and drinks and oshibori that were added once sushi got fashionable?

                    1. re: snootcity

                      well, my guess is
                      the ledge = tsukedai
                      drinks/oshibori area = kauntah
                      even though the whole section is called a kauntah.

                      there may be words to describe it(長台、食卓台 etc) but nobody uses those words. I mean, I've never encountered anybody (Japanese people) distinguishing different parts of sushi counters in my life.
                      Thanks for the enlightenment... I would not have tried to look them up had I not seen your question :-)