HOME > Chowhound > San Francisco Bay Area >

Where can I buy a "Boston shaker" in S.F. / any good barware supplier?

toothforaneye Jun 13, 2010 07:11 AM

I live in the Richmond but any borough will do...thanks...

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. wolfe RE: toothforaneye Jun 13, 2010 08:21 AM

    BevMo has shakers. Not the right kind?

    1. monku RE: toothforaneye Jun 13, 2010 08:32 AM

      Some advice from someone who worked in bars.
      Bars use a shaker set with glass and metal.
      Reason why I wouldn't use the shaker set you're looking for is the smaller metal container which fits into the larger can get out of shape and you won't have a watertight seal. In a bar they get out of shape from being knocked to release, dropped or tossed around in the sink.

      1 Reply
      1. re: monku
        toothforaneye RE: monku Jun 13, 2010 09:22 AM

        Fair enough, but I could still use the large component with my pint glass collection...any suggestions?

      2. ryantate RE: toothforaneye Jun 13, 2010 05:48 PM

        You might try Cask in the financial district. Their website lists a variety of boston shakers, including a simple mixing glass for $2 (http://www.caskstore.com/barware/15-o...) which you'd combine with a shaker like this one for $7 (http://www.caskstore.com/barware/shak... ). You might want to call ahead to make sure they have those in the actual store -- so you don't get stuck buying their $99 (!) boston shaker set.

        2 Replies
        1. re: ryantate
          toothforaneye RE: ryantate Jun 13, 2010 09:24 PM

          me oh my, an eighteen dollar jigger...

          1. re: ryantate
            openhelix RE: ryantate Jun 15, 2010 09:54 AM

            Second recommendation for Cask. They have some real high end stuff but some really nice everyday stuff as well. Most of the cheaper stuff isn't on the website.

          2. Gustavo Glenmorangie RE: toothforaneye Jun 14, 2010 10:26 AM

            IKEA. Really. Glass and stainless with a rubber seal on the glass part.

            They call it... Groggy, which is why I bought it in the first place. Great IKEA name.

            It's a bit on the small side but does two glasses easily. I've been using mine for years.

            And, no surprise here: Hella cheap.

            4400 Shellmound St, Emeryville, CA

            1. brattenheimer RE: toothforaneye Jun 14, 2010 06:08 PM

              I bought an awesome one from a Williams-Sonoma store years ago. They don't seem to have any online, but maybe they have some cool ones in-store.

              Show Hidden Posts