HOME > Chowhound > Home Cooking >
Are you making a specialty food? Share your adventure

cut of meat help

drlee_susquespine Jun 11, 2010 12:33 PM

I thought I knew all there was to know about beef. But I just recently bought a cow from a local farm and had it processed. I have a few packs labeled "3 corner." Anyone know what that cut of meat is?

  1. Will Owen Jun 11, 2010 12:41 PM

    I'm going to guess tri-tip. Where are you located? Tri-tip used to be unknown outside of California, except in Austria where it's the famous Tafelspitz ("Table-corner") that's considered the best cut for Viennese boiled beef, but I'm seeing it advertised across the country now. It's taken from the shoulder, as I understand, but I was thinking there were just two per cow. Let's see what some others have to say - this list has its share of meat mavens.

    5 Replies
    1. re: Will Owen
      drlee_susquespine Jun 11, 2010 12:53 PM

      it's roast size and there's 2 of them. It could be, but the tritip I've had is smaller.

      On the E coast

      1. re: drlee_susquespine
        Will Owen Jun 11, 2010 01:07 PM

        I've seen it stores here pretty darned big; can't recall how many pounds, but a good 18" is not uncommon.

        My late pa-in-law was raised out here in SoCal, and could not imagine cooking a tri-tip any way other than grilling it. The second one I cooked, I thought about the kind of meat it was and decided that braising would be more reasonable, so I did that. It was wonderful. Mrs. O, who usually wants her beef still mooing, thought it was wonderful too. Dad's reaction was to leap to his feet and shout, "You POT-ROASTED TRI-TIP??" and stomped out of the room. It was some time after that when I read about the Tafelspitz...

        1. re: Will Owen
          Phurstluv Jun 11, 2010 05:32 PM

          Hahahahaha!! Good one, Mr. O!

        2. re: drlee_susquespine
          Zeldog Jun 11, 2010 05:41 PM

          Trimmed tri-tip is much smaller than the whole cut with all the fat and connective tissue attached. Is it shaped sort of like a wedge or thick boomerang and the grain runs horizontal? If so, that's tri-tip. Makes an excellent corned beef or pastrami, by the way.

          1. re: Zeldog
            Will Owen Jun 11, 2010 10:07 PM

            I really prefer it untrimmed, and to make my own decisions about what goes or stays, especially if I'm going to slow-cook it (I was about to say "braise", then realized this could be a good candidate for the water smoker). Sold like that it's often under $3/lb around here.

      2. PBSF Jun 11, 2010 01:12 PM

        I would call the farm/processor and ask them.

        1. Phurstluv Jun 11, 2010 05:31 PM

          Sounds like tri tip. Awesome cut, no gristle, no waste.

          1. Chemicalkinetics Jun 11, 2010 05:38 PM

            I agree with Will on this. It sounds like a tri-tip.

            Show Hidden Posts