HOME > Chowhound > General Topics >

Discussion

Apple mouldy at the core?

I was happily munching my apple today when I got to the core and discovered copious amounts what looked like white mould.

The apple was perfectly tasty, but now I'm a little freaked out that my next apple might be mouldy at the centre as well. Ick. Is there a way to tell from the outside?

Or is this a normal phenomenon I just haven't happened to encounter before?

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
Delete
  1. I've never had that happen before...but I'm now completely horrified at the prospect. Did you get sick?!

    1. sounds like moldy core rot - it's caused by a fungus that infects the apple during the flowering stage. if you Google you'll find info. the mold is typically isolated in the core, so you shouldn't get sick. unfortunately i think the only way to tell from the outside is before the apple is picked - you can see a difference in the way it flowers.

      1 Reply
      1. re: goodhealthgourmet

        I stay away from the darker mold at the bottom of the apple where it's sometimes infected at the flower part. But the white mold inside, I often munch right through it; no issues so far. Although I'm sure I'm a lucky fellow without an allergy or some reason to have a reaction.

      2. Why is everybody freaking out over a little core mold? Who was the last person to get poisoned by a little mold on food?

        BTW, if you think you don't eat mold spores on a really regular basis, think again.

        2 Replies
        1. re: EWSflash

          Better to find a little mold than a worm...or half a worm.

          1. re: EWSflash

            Actually, a friend of mine has terrible allergic reactions to mold, and recently ended up swollen and covered with hives when he bit into an apple with moldy core rot! Happened about two weeks ago.

          2. How about cutting it in half before eating?

            Look at the stem end or bottom. Sometimes they look weird. I've cut into apples that were buggy at the core.

            1. I didn't get sick, and yes, we all consume a little mould now and then.

              But it's still a little off-putting to be munching what seems to be a perfectly good apple and discover a ton of mould inside!

              Cutting the apples in half to check for the next little while sounds like a good idea. Reassuring to know what you're biting into, at least.

              1. happened to me just now. perfectly good apple with white mold around the centre side looking like frost..

                2 Replies
                1. re: nagini

                  I thought it was just me wondering about this. I've noticed this on the majority of apples. It hasn't stopped from eating them, but I am now consciously aware of it. I just don't eat all the way down to the core where I may ingest some.

                  1. re: liza219

                    I saw some gross pictures of apple tree fungus and mutation that scared me off. I wouldn't touch apples again for a long time!

                  1. Are we sure it's mold or is it a GMO apple? I've cut open 3 apples I just bought, they're seemingly fresh, and each one has the look of what you're all describing. I have NEVER seen anything like this before, but I know that the big chemical companies have patented 11,000 seeds and are growing all kinds of foods after genetically mutating them to be what they aren't supposed to be, and are refusing to label them. I think the apples are contaminated.

                    1. Don't have a knife on hand to cut your apple before you eat it? Youtube how to break an apple in half with your hands. This trick comes in handy... That's how I stumbled upon the fluffy core of my apple. Plus you feel like a beast every time! :D

                      1 Reply