HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >
What have you made lately? Tell us about it

What is this utensil?

CityFoodie May 30, 2010 12:13 PM

What is this? It was found in my father-in-law's kitchen. Thanks.

  1. alkapal May 31, 2010 06:03 AM

    i'm thinking about the answer. egg slicer doesn't seem correct.

    in the meantime, i'll sip on my gin and "titonic." http://www.kitschulike.com/product_in...

    5 Replies
    1. re: alkapal
      roxlet May 31, 2010 06:55 AM

      Ha, ha! Love it!

      1. re: roxlet
        cajundave May 31, 2010 07:32 AM

        It does look like it's for scooping and then pushing off the scoop as apposed to chopping because there is a stop. Take it to the Swimming with sharks TV show! I you figure it out.

        1. re: cajundave
          alkapal May 31, 2010 07:35 AM

          strange shape to "scoop," though.

          1. re: cajundave
            monku May 31, 2010 07:38 AM

            I was thinking of something along that line.
            Maybe scraping home made chocolates off a sheet pan and transferring them onto a serving dish so you don't get fingerprints on them?

            This is driving me crazy and I got to know what it is.

            1. re: monku
              jacquelyncoffey May 31, 2010 09:42 AM

              To me, it looks like a spatula and you lift the burgers or pancakes or whatever out of the pan, and squeeze the handle to push them onto the bun or a plate.

      2. j
        jjw May 30, 2010 07:05 PM

        This brings back a vague memory from my childhood in the 50's. If I'm recalling correctly, it's a tool to make drop cookies. You squeeze the handle together, scoop up some dough, and then release the handle to push the dough off onto the cookie sheet.

        11 Replies
        1. re: jjw
          Gio May 30, 2010 07:13 PM

          Oh gosh I have one of those. It was my mother's. I really don't know what it's used for but something tells me it wasn't used as you describe. Maybe for slicing hard boiled eggs? I have to have a think on this...

          1. re: jjw
            Chemicalkinetics May 30, 2010 08:00 PM

            Sounds reasonable.

            1. re: jjw
              Miss Priss May 31, 2010 07:47 AM

              A little online research confirms the accuracy of your memory! Here's a "cookie dropper" from an online vendor:


              And here's the patent application (with helpful drawings) for one version:


              There's also a newer type that looks like this:


              Apparently people have been dropping cookies with these things for decades. Who (besides them) knew?!

              1. re: Miss Priss
                alkapal May 31, 2010 07:54 AM

                miss priss wins the contest! ;-).

                ps. have all of you noticed that whenever you go to amazon, there is always "only one" left of the product -- whatever it is!?

                1. re: Miss Priss
                  monku May 31, 2010 07:55 AM

                  The only thing that made me think it wasn't was how does one drop a round looking piece of dough to make a round cookie from that thing?

                  1. re: monku
                    alkapal May 31, 2010 07:57 AM

                    i know...how do you control portion size?

                  2. re: Miss Priss
                    CityFoodie May 31, 2010 09:09 AM

                    Miss Priss -- Bravo!! Bravo!! Thank you for your detailed research...and now I know!

                    1. re: Miss Priss
                      Chemicalkinetics May 31, 2010 09:12 AM

                      Wow. Only $1.70?

                      1. re: Miss Priss
                        MikeG May 31, 2010 09:28 AM

                        I don't know how much they've actually been used, it's not like useless kitchen gadgets ever go out of style. ;) My mother had one of these (back in the 70s) and it really didn't work very well at all.

                      2. re: jjw
                        CityFoodie May 31, 2010 09:38 AM

                        jjw - Thanks so much! Mystery solved!

                        1. re: jjw
                          Chemicalkinetics May 31, 2010 09:56 AM

                          Just want you to know. I were the first to agree with you. I believe in you. :P

                        Show Hidden Posts