Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Home Cooking >
May 10, 2010 04:28 PM

Help me identify this mystery meat

My roommates left behind an interesting slab of something in the freezer. I'm hoping it's really, really fatty pork belly so I can simmer it down into lard. The skin looks just like the pig's skin when I cured bacon, but there's no muscle tissue at all in the slab - just white stuff.

Here's some pictures of it from different angles:


  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
    1. Unrendered leaf lard perhaps?

      1. The original comment has been removed
        1. Don't know why this struck me as funny, but I'm laughing. Can we assume the fat is "milky white?"

          1. re: Caroline1

            Writing it made me chuckle. Definitely "milky white."

            1. re: c oliver

              Ah, the same thing happened to me too! I was cutting up my pork belly and got soooo creeped out by the nipples.
              Yay, either way, if my mystery meat is fatback or leaf lard, I'm a happy camper. Gonna stink up the kitchen tomorrow with the aroma of rendering fat and burning chile seeds.
              Mmmmmmm homemade mole.

              1. re: sufunsified

                i make a distinction (semantics) and refer to the focal point of animal mammaries as udders and human mammaries as nipples. to lessen the odor, have some star anise, pepper corns and ginger in the pot as you render down the fat.

                1. re: epabella

                  I always thought the udder (on cows) was the "bag" and the "nipples" the "teats" on a cow. I would suppose a lady pig has "teats" too but certainly no udder.

                2. re: sufunsified

                  It's definitely not leaf lard which is the hard fat that surrounds the kidneys (as is suet on a bovine). But it certainly looks like lard material to me from whatever part of the pig, back or belly.

          2. looks like fatty pork belly with the bacon already stripped-off.

            1. It has to be Hog fat or whale blubber.