Street Food in Vancouver
- fmed May 1, 2010 08:30 AM
It's looking up:
The city is looking to Portland as a model. What would you like to see served on the street?
I would like
Chip Wagon Fries
Roti (of all sorts).
Satays, Lamb Skewers (Xinjiang), Filipino BBQ
Jianbing (Chinese Crepe), Popiah
Roujiamo (Chinese Hamburger).
Noodles (Hokkien Mee, etc).
Meat Pies (Aussie, Samosa, Empanadas, etc).
I hope the health authorities will take a much less draconian approach to street food. Otherwise this whole thing will be a massive waste of time and a lost opportunity.
I'm simple to please, I have a short list [wink]:
- Chinese steamed buns
- Wonton noodles (or any noodles)
- Chinese donut (you tiao - 油條) with sesame pastry (shao bing - 燒餅)
- Chinese stinky tofu (okay, that'll likely *never* happen)
- Taiwanese oyster omelette (蚵仔煎)
- Taiwanese pork on rice (rou zhao fan - 肉燥飯)
- Japanese dons
- Swedish tunnbrodsrulle ("hot dog" ..... sort of)
- Perogies & piroshkis
El lobo solo, I saw pupusas at Duffin's Donuts, at the corner of 41st Ave & Knight. About $3 each IIRC. If you've never been, it's a great spot (open 24 hrs), with fresh donuts, hot Chinese deli foods (until 8pm or so), banh mis, tortas, burgers & fries, fried chicken etc. Nothing gourmet, but you won't find a better variety and selection of "fast food" like they have anywhere else anytime in the day/night:
El Rinconcito Salvadoreno on Commercial is a pupuseria (in case you haven't tried it).
And since this is Chowhound, Arepas would be a fitting addition. This is (Chowhound founder) Jim Leff's now famous "Arepa Lady" article http://www.thesquaretable.com/fall02/...
Rinconcito Salvadoreno Restaurant
2062 Commercial Dr, Vancouver, BC V5N4A9, CA
I would love to see a samosa stand with different filings ....also a roti/parantha stand where they sell different ones with different fillings (they do this in India-places that just sell assorted filled paranthas filled to order)...maybe even a roti wrap stand where they have a seasonal veg choice as well as a couple of others to roll the roti's around with raita as an optional topping mmmmm I am getting hungry just thinking about it.....
...and of course tacos
I hope the people that open these stands up use as much local/sustainable as possiblle-maybe I am hoping for too much:)....
- this is vancouver- so expect a opposition from already existing restaurants. especially in the downtown core. this town really needs to grow up. japadog is- imo- over- rated, but has pushed the envelope somewhat- a good thing. people tend to forget that we have roasted chestnut carts as well. not just weiners.
pretzels, knish. brisket- curry bun. fresh pomegranate drink.