HOME > Chowhound > Los Angeles Area >
What's your latest food project? Tell us about it

Need to find dumpling skin. Help me ~~~.

bigtuna27 Apr 12, 2010 10:55 AM

I want to find the dumpling skin used to make crystal shrimp dumplings. The one in any dim sum place's menu. I believe it's a rice skin but can't find them in Chinese market. Also I want to find the noodles used for dim sum place. It usually stuffed and steamed. The one waitress cut in front of you when they serve. If any of you know please let me know of the brand name or what to look for? In west side area please.Thanx

  1. Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. wilafur Apr 12, 2010 11:04 AM

    any 99 ranch will have both items.

    1. raytamsgv Apr 12, 2010 11:15 AM

      I'm guessing the stuffed and steamed noodles to which you refer are the wide, rice noodles that are filled with meat and covered with soy sauce (cheung fun). These noodles are usually in flat plastic bags about half the size of standard notebook paper. They are NOT refrigerated, but you can often find them near refrigerated noodles and buns in many Asian markets. Do not refrigerate them.

      6 Replies
      1. re: raytamsgv
        luckattack Apr 12, 2010 11:29 AM

        Those sheet noodles in the plastic bags aren't the cheung fun noodles. The cheung fun sheets are actually steamed sheets made kinda like crepe sheets. They wouldn't taste the same. As for crystals wraps, I'm curious to where you find that. Those aren't normal dumpling skins.

        1. re: luckattack
          bigtuna27 Apr 12, 2010 12:44 PM

          @ luckattack I tried so many dimsum places in Monterey park to San Gabriel area. Any places have them. It is a steamed see-through looking dumplings stuffed with shrimp and or vegetables usualy. @ wilafur Do you know the name of brand. I go to 99 all the time. Those in refrigerated area or dried stuff area in 99?

          1. re: bigtuna27
            will47 Apr 12, 2010 03:19 PM

            The cheung fun / chang fen are the wide flat noodle type things; they come rolled up in the non-refrigerated section of the market, usually where the rice noodles are.

            But the other thing you're talking about, you mean Har Gow (虾饺; xia1jiao3), right? I'm not sure if you can buy the wrapping for this or not. If that's what you're talking about, Wikipedia has a description of how the skin is made... I think you would need to get wheat starch and tapioca starch at the Asian market (on the aisle with baking stuff and starches) and make the skins yourself.

            I think you will have a hard time finding some of the ingredients you need on the west side - you will probably have to go to the SGV or at least the SFV.

            1. re: will47
              monku Apr 12, 2010 07:18 PM

              Here's a basic recipe for Har Gow skins:
              (I've never seen the wrapper sold in stores)
              3/4 cup wheat starch
              1/4 cup tapioca starch
              1/4 teaspoon of salt
              1/2 cup (approx.) boiling hot water

          2. re: luckattack
            Clinton Apr 12, 2010 01:30 PM

            Are you referring to the dried translucent rice paper wrappings used for Vietnamese egg rolls? That can be found in the dried noodle section ie. 99 Ranch Markets. For fresh Chinese dumpling wrapping skins, I like the Wing Hing or Panda brand the best since it's made locally here in SGV. That is found in the refrigerated noodle section. There are three thickness labeled by color. Blue which is the thick squares used for dumplings, yellow for won tons, and pink for siu mai. There is also the round thick ones used for gyozas. The cheong fun or steamed rice noodle sheets are found near the pastry section either in whole flat folded sheets or sliced. They come in either plain or with shrimp and veggies wrapped in cellophane on Styrofoam plates.

            99 Ranch
            17713 Pioneer Blvd, Artesia, CA

            1. re: luckattack
              raytamsgv Apr 12, 2010 01:45 PM

              Maybe I'm getting my bag descriptions mixed up, but I am definitely talking about cheung fun.

          3. Jennalynn Apr 12, 2010 02:12 PM

            They have them in the refrigerated section of the Korean / Asian market at the Galleria on Western and Olympic.

            4 Replies
            1. re: Jennalynn
              bigtuna27 Apr 12, 2010 05:41 PM

              Thank you all. I'll try 99 again.

              1. re: bigtuna27
                Galen Apr 12, 2010 05:51 PM

                The stuff for cheung fun or har gow can't be bought. You'd have to make it yourself.

                1. re: Galen
                  will47 Apr 12, 2010 07:14 PM

                  I'm pretty sure you can buy the cheung fun / banh cuon at the market. It's not as good as if you make it yourself, but you can buy it. It comes in a rolled-up tube shape, which I assume is where the 肠 (intestine) / 猪肠 (ping intestine) part of the name comes from.

                  Of course, making the batter for it is pretty easy (it's mostly rice flour and water), but actually making it from scratch requires some practice and finesse. I haven't tried it myself, but I've seen it done.

                  I guess the steaming method (see video below), which seems to be more typical for the Chinese style should be a little easier than making it like a crêpe.


                  1. re: Galen
                    monku Apr 12, 2010 07:26 PM

                    You're correct, I've never seen them in stores. I don't think they package well, so they're made from scratch.

              Show Hidden Posts