Suggestions for our Honeymoon in the Bay Area.
I'm happily getting married at the end of april/early May and looking forward to experiencing the SF bay area again with my new Wife and together for the first time. We hail from DC and love a variety of food and styles.
We will be in SF for the majority of the trip, and are staying an overnight in Napa. Currently I have plans and reservations at Auberge De Soliel in Napa and our one restaurant there. Decided against French Laundry because we didn't want something that stuffy/Museumesque although I'm sure it would be worth it. Would love to here more recs of places to go and eat, in the Bay Area.
Congratulations! May you have many happy years together.
I'm sure the local Hounds will be willing to help, but some answers to the questions below would narrow things down a bit.
How long will you be here?
Are there any specific kinds of cuisine/price points you're interested in?
Will you have a car?
How far are you willing to go for a good meal?
Any dietary restrictions for either of you?
Give the rest of the Hounds an idea of what exactly you're looking for and then we can point you in the right direction.
Thank you for the help. I of course read the intro to SF chowhound after writing this post.
-We are planning our first 3 days in SF (Westin St. Francis), then an overnight in Napa, and 3 more days in SF.
-We would like to do 2-3 special nights with possible consideration for a tasting/multi course menu. Once of these will probably be Auberge Du Soliel, at least that the Napa reservation I have now.
-We will have a car, trying to decide on how many days based on the recs though. But we love to walk and primarily will be using Public Transportation.
-We love to travel and see sights so distance is not an issue as long as there is interest along the way
- No dietary restrictions "per se", but we tend to like fresh, and light with occasional comfort food dish sprinkled through out meals. Not a heavy meat dish every meal kind of couple.
Current List of Ideas:
- random coffee stops at Blue Bottle locations, or other suggestions, big fan of illy style pulled cappucino.
- Random day break/ quick breakfast at Waffle Mania one day
- A Cantonese night at ... East Ocean Seafood vs. Hakka; maybe also Dim Sum on the way from the Airport if we are hungry at Koi Palace
- Night at Boulevard- as one of the fancy ones... vs. Fleur De Lys
- Range as a possible third fancy night, or just share an light entree
- Random Hungry Night at Sam's Cheeseburger, if such a craving arises.
- Afternoon Snack in Mission district at Taqueria Cancun
- Possible homage to my latin background at Inkas one night/lunch
-Vineyard visit before dinner: Nickle and Nickle vs. Shaffer?? not married to either
-Auberge- dinner also thought about Meadowwood (but not sure if I want the large resort feel)
-Quick AM pastry at Bouchon bakery, or maybe stop in at La Bedaine bakery in berkley on the drive back to the city.
All ideas I have culled from friends and the other local hound posts. Oh yeah and see some sights and walk off all that food.
Thanks for any input.
Koi Palace Restaurant
365 Gellert Blvd, Daly City, CA 94015
3299 Mission St, San Francisco, CA 94110
2288 Mission St, San Francisco, CA 94110
Fleur De Lys
777 Sutter St., San Francisco, CA 94109
East Ocean Seafood
1713 Webster St, Alameda, CA 94501
Blue Bottle Cafe
66 Mint St, San Francisco, CA 94103
6534 Washington Street, Yountville, CA 94599
1585 Solano Ave, Berkeley, CA 94706
2nd Street and Tehama Street, San Francisco, CA 94105