HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >
Brewing beer, curing meat, or making cheese? Get great advice

Which Flame Tamer?

isadorasmama Mar 27, 2010 05:27 AM

I have a generic gas stove with regular sized burners. Whether I'm pan frying or braising my food always cooks unevenly with the pieces in the middle of the LC or All Clad cooking much faster than the pieces along the perimeter. So...I think a flame tamer would be my best solution.

But which one? Do I want a mat or a plate? What size? Any recommendations for brands?

  1. Chemicalkinetics Mar 27, 2010 07:03 AM

    Maybe a flame/heat diffuser is better:

    3 Replies
    1. re: Chemicalkinetics
      Mawrter May 9, 2010 09:21 PM

      Is there a difference btwn a flame tamers and a heat diffuser?

      And do people have recommendations about materials? I'm seeing cast iron, silicon, aluminum, tin...

      1. re: Mawrter
        Chemicalkinetics May 9, 2010 09:41 PM


        Many people interchangeably use the two terms. A flame tamer is to decrease the thermal heat from the flame thus allows gas stove to operate at low heat level (many gas stovetop will run the risk of flame out when dial at a very low setting). A heat diffuser is to diffuse heat to create a more even heating surface than the original gas stovetop. Either item will perform in both areas, but each is slightly gear toward its own purpose.

        A flame tamer is usually solid

        A heat diffuser usually is made of two piece of mesh plate like this:

        I think aluminum is better just because it is a better heat conductor.

        1. re: Chemicalkinetics
          Mawrter May 10, 2010 02:30 PM

          Thanks! I may be needing one of these and I was extremely confused by the terminology & array of choices.

    2. f
      fauchon Mar 27, 2010 06:54 AM

      The best one I've found is here...


      I'm looking forward to other replies & suggestions...

      Show Hidden Posts