HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >
Do you create unique foods?

Please identify this cook at your table cookware

RedRummy Mar 25, 2010 08:13 PM

I have not been able to find any information about this piece without first knowing what it is called. Does anyone have an idea? Thanks

  1. b
    Beckyleach Mar 25, 2010 09:13 PM

    Oh, man. I actually think I HAD one of these (I remember it in the box, mainly, as I never used it) but that was probably in the late '70's and my memory is failing me. Sorry.

    1. tanuki soup Mar 26, 2010 12:27 AM

      It looks like a pan for making yakiniku (grilled meat, Japanese name for a Korean dish). Everybody sits around the table and puts thin slices of raw beef on the pan till grilled to taste. The cooked beef slices are eaten with sauce and rice. Delicious!

      1. Quine Mar 26, 2010 02:24 AM

        It's an Korean BBQ grill, the sty;e known (I Think) as helmet grilling. The charcoal is inside the dome and the grease dips off down the dome, making it pretty smoke free and healthier.
        From what I recall early warriors placed their helmets over coals in the field for cooking

        1 Reply
        1. re: Quine
          Paulustrious Mar 27, 2010 05:54 AM

          You are right about the Korean - the little side dishes tell the story. Cooking on a hot stone is common in many cultures, such as a Mongolian 'memory-failure' or a French pierade. The Koreans also use hot stones bowls for bibimbap (dolsot).

          You can use pretty much any heavy impervious stone and just heat it in the oven for a couple of hours

        2. grnidkjun Mar 26, 2010 11:51 AM

          the swiss/french version called a raclette came to mind for me:



          1 Reply
          1. re: grnidkjun
            jao204 Mar 31, 2010 05:54 PM

            The raclette is a different type of animal, is the cheese is inserted underneath the upper plate (which is used to keep potatoes or the like warm). I had my first experience with a raclette this past weekend, and it was great (I also love a nearby Korean place that provides you with above mentioned object to cook your own bulgogi)!

          2. Chemicalkinetics Mar 27, 2010 02:49 PM

            Definitely Korean BBQ (though Koreans are not the only people who use them):


            1. r
              ricepad Mar 30, 2010 12:14 PM

              I'm pretty sure I saw Chef Tony hawking those on late night TV years ago...

              1. tanuki soup Mar 31, 2010 02:09 AM

                BTW, the electric version is also popular in Japan.

                Show Hidden Posts