Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Wine >
Mar 24, 2010 09:03 AM

What kind of wine glasses for Italian reds?

Hello, I am just wondering what kind of wine glasses you use for italian reds (barolo, brunello, chianti, etc...) Should I use Burgundy glasses or Bordeaux?

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. Quick rule: the bigger the wine, the bigger the glass.
    Like: small one for a dolcetto, big bowl for a barolo.
    Et cetera.

    2 Replies
    1. re: RicRios

      Thanks! Know anything about decanting Italians?

      1. re: famccollough

        This is what I do:
        With most barolos, in particular old school ones, and some barbarescos, long decanting: 24 hrs.
        Brunellos, an hour or so.
        Others : no decanting.

    2. Burgundy glasses for Pinot Noir and Nebbiolo (Barolo, Barbaresco, Gattinara, Langhe or Roero Nebbiolo, etc.)

      Zinfandel glasses (Riedel Vinum 416/15) for Sangiovese (Chianti, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, Toscanos, etc.), Montepulciano, Lambrusco, Dolcetto, Primitivio.

      There is a Vinum Brunello glass that would probably be best for real Super Tuscans also.

      Bordeaux glasses for Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, etc.

      Syrah glasses for Barbera.

      I only use three for them all - Burgundy, Zinfandel and Bordeaux.

      1. For those wines, I usually use my Riedel Vinum Bdx. stems. I recently had several Barolos in the Vinum Burgundy "balloons," and then in the Bdx. stems, and I liked them in the Bdx. glasses better.



        1. I use Bord glasses for Tuscan wines and Burg glasses for Piedmontese wines.