Hand-stretched Chinese noodles in Seattle
Saw a Tony Bourdain episode from Sichuan province in China awhile back where they made hand-stretched noodles, so I decided to go on a 'mission from God' to find some around here.
After a helluva lot of searching, Noodle King in Chinatown is the only place I could find in the Northwest that has the real deal... and the search was absolutely worth the effort. I finally found them through the fine folks over at the MSG150.com blog.
Been to Noodle King several times now and every dish I've had is darn good. I'd say they're in the top 3 or 4 noodle places in Chinatown. Perhaps because they're a new business, they always seem to have a special where you can get a great bowl of soup for around four bucks.
Anyway, I was messing around with a new camera and some software and filmed the noodle guy working his magic the other day. It was cool enough that I decided to finally get a YouTube account and post it for others.
I'd like to see this place do well, so I thought I'd pimp 'em a bit and hopefully help raise the bar for all the other noodle joints in this part of the world, which can only be a good thing.
Here's the link:
What a great video! Wow.
You don't happen to know if that's a wheat-based noodle or a rice-based one, do you? I'm guessing the former, since that dough was behaving like it has a lot of gluten in it. I'm gluten-intolerant, but every once in a while suffer the consequences for something really delicious.
The restaurant definitely looks worth checking out. Thanks for the tip!
Definitely wheat. I went there for lunch today, and they're taking 50% off one item if it's your birthday. And guess what, it's my birthday! In addition to noodle soup, I had the cold jellyfish dish. Man that was yummy, with the faintest tinge of ginger & green onion.
I also lucked out and could see the noodle master from my table, working his magic in the back.
I actually went and checked this place out yesterday. Pretty good for a cheap lunch in the ID, although it didn't seem to be all that busy when I was there.
There's a place in Kenmore called Tai Ho. Everything in that restaurant is a culinary catastrophe, but they do sell hand-pulled noodles. Don't actually eat there, though, as their noodle soup and ingredients are a catastrophe as well. However, their hand-pulled noodles by their lonesome seem to be of a acceptable to better-than-acceptable quality, but is best if you take them home and add your own soup and ingredients. I can't be the only one who thought of this, because they actually sell the plain noodles by themselves according to the menu.
What I wouldn't give to have Shi'an in Lake City back in business...
Hungwei - speaking of 'what I wouldn't give,' you might just be the one for this obscure question:
Shortly after (or was it before?) Lincoln High School was mothballed, in the early (?) seventies, the A&W Rootbeer Stand that fed its more posh students, for years, closed its doors. Successions of rental tenants followed. I was not paying much attention, but one that sticks out was "Fuji Teriyaki Chinese Cuisene." Irony nearly had me on the floor. An earlier tenant had been 'Fuji Teriyaki' (It wasn't all that and, so, disappeared quickly), and the new occupants had, with all the wisdom of MBA marketing, attempted to preserve the 'brand' and Wallingford became the home of the best food with the silliest name in this whole town. The food was at least 60% of this amazing experience, and it was amazing. It was clear at bite-one the chef was happy to work with our local produce and seafood. I'd have liked to see Alice Waters compete against this. Dude. Humongous. The other 40%, btw, were the absolutely charming, 'glad-to-be-so-little-I can speak-American-so-easily' daughters who staffed the front of the house.
After a few years (1?, 2?, 3?...), I approached the door, but to find "moved to Lake City" posted there.
I cruise Lake City Way dangerously to this day, with eyes intent on signage, but nothing.
Another place to try is Henry's Taiwan. It's definitely hand-pulled. There's one 2 storefronts down from Noodle King. There's another one in Bellevue, but haven't tried that one.