Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >
Mar 11, 2010 05:05 PM

Where to find a batticarne?

Several years ago, I spotted in Chef's Catalog an incredible tool. It was a batticarne (meat flattener) imported from Italy, but it was not the typical "hammer" types one usually sees. This one had two handles, and you placed the meat (chicken, veal, whatever) between two round flat plates, then when you pressed the handles together the two plates came together, flattening the meat! It was of course more expensive but certainly superior to the labor-intensive hammering method.

Alas, Chef's Catalog no longer carries this item, and I've looked around online (amazon, Williams-Sonoma, Sur La Table,, Crate and Barrel) and can't find one anywhere. Does anyone know where to buy one of these?

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. Sorry I can't help, but you can get much the same effect by using one inch doweling as a rolling pin. This can be very effective for escalopes etc.

    I am not sure that meat would be flattened much by your batticarne. If you could apply 120 lbs of pressure to a piece of meat 4x3 inches that would only be 10 lbs/ square inch, not really enough to flatten it in a short period of time. (Try squeezing a bath-scale to judge how much pressure you can apply).