Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >
Mar 10, 2010 04:57 PM

Vintage kitchen utensil -- any idea what this might be

My mother found it in someone's garage, and we have no idea what it could be for. Cooking eggs? But why the different levels?

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. Sorry, you can't see the photo very well on here -- up along the center are multiple lines, labeled "eggs," and each line (moving from bottom to top) says 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, then starts over again. Each section of lines (moving from bottom to top) is then labeled "very soft," "soft," and "medium"

    1 Reply
    1. re: emed

      It looks like just part of an old egg poacher. It must be missing parts.

    2. Surely it's for lowering and retreiving eggs in boiling water? Here in the UK eggs used to be size graded from 1(largest) to 6, which might explain that part of the labelling.

      4 Replies
      1. re: Robin Joy

        Robin's right. Wow, I must be getting old if this is "vintage." We had one when I was growing up in the late 50's. The different numbers and the water lines are for the number of eggs you're boiling (and the degree of hardness). The whistle either goes off when they're done or when they get to the boiling point, then you need to turn down to simmer.
        Works pretty well, IIRC.

        1. re: MargotB

          should have said something like "degree of hardness desired."

          1. re: MargotB

            Ah yes....Could easily be number of eggs rather than size. And it whistles too? Sounds great. Where can I get one?!

            1. re: Robin Joy

              Pretty sure they don't make these any more; have never seen one except the one we used to have.