Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Home Cooking >
Feb 28, 2010 02:20 PM

Slow cooking pasta? On stove top NOT in slow cooker!

I once had a marvelous meal when wide noodles and a bunch of other stuff were cooked by slowly adding small amounts of water/broth at a time, for much longer than the normal boiling water pasta time. Constant stirring, like risotto.

What might this kind of method be called? I want to google and get recipes, because that was so good I sometimes remember it out of the blue...

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. Try googling "absorption pasta" or "absorption method."

    1. Or "risotto style pasta." I make pasta this way all the time (usually with penne or fusilli). This recipe got me started:

      4 Replies
      1. re: small h

        I'm really excited to try this!!

          1. re: THewat

            Sorry I did not respond sooner to the recipe from small h.

            This sounds FABULOUS! Thank you so much for posting. Yum!

            1. re: BratleFoodie

              You're very welcome, and I hope you like it.

      2. I have a recipe from the New York Times "Pasta with Chicken, Risotto Style." Here's a link to the page: