Lunch in Hampstead and other questions [London]
I am visitng London in March and would like to know:
1. some lunch places - outdoors if theweather is nice - in Hampstead.
2. which is the more desirable market to visit - Borough or Spitalfields?
3. I will be staying nr MArble Arch. is there a Waitrose nearby?
I think the closest Waitrose is probably the one on Edgeware Rd - north of Marble Arch. You could check a Google Map to find how far that is.
1. Outside, are you insane?!
2. Borough, definitely. Spitalfields used to be lovely but is now an over priced and underwhelming crafty place. Borough is great - food only - but do try to go on Friday as Saturday is stressy.
3. Echo that - the JL Waitrose is fab.
You can always go to the John Lewis Food Hall and stock up on food, head upstairs to the non-food area and stock up on warm, dry clothes, then catch the tube to Hampstead and have a picnic on the Heath. ;-)
But seriously, it may be a bit cold, check on the day. If you fluke nice weather, you'll get great views from the Parliament Hill area of the Heath. The Bull & Last is good for food. There's not much interesting in Hampstead itself - it's mostly fairly bland chain restaurants. Ginger & White gets good reviews (I haven't been), but it's only a cafe.