Grand Feast at Fuloon!
Almost forty Hounds descended on Fuloon for a Grand Feast! Here are some pics to whet your appetites!
Thanks so much to Fredi for organizing this. It was particularly great for those of us who couldn't handle ordering a whole entree buried in dried hot peppers (as a few of them were) to enjoy *some* of that heat as delicious samples. Also delighted to get to try the off-menu banquet dishes, and to meet the chef.
For inspiration (I'll let others fill out the descriptions!) here's a list of what we ordered:
* Wontons in Hot Chili Oil,
* Pork Pancakes
* Tripe (This is in honor of the Crew’s adventuresomeness, to encourage you all to be adventurous, too!)
Grand Banquet items: (The chef wanted to take this opportunity to make some dishes that are too complicated for the regular menu! You're welcome to pre-order them for any meal - they are large orders - just call Fuloon and ask for DianeShe also may re-name them!)
* Dong Po Pork
* Minced Eggplant with Garlic;
* Rolled Fish
* Hainanese Chicken (This was a misnomer , my fault)
* Chicken Wings with Garlic
Some "greatest hits" and new sampling:
* Wok Baked Beef or Wok Baked Chicken
* Spicy Cabbage
* Jiang Pao Duck and Tea Smoked Duck
* Whole Fish, Szechuan style and Sweet and Sour(?) style
* Steamed Beef Szechuan Style and Steamed Fish Szechuan Style
* Kanshue Green Beans, traditional style
* Tofu in Special Sauce
* Watercress with Garlic
Dessert: A beautiful presentation of very fresh fruit, with a bit of blueberry sauce
A great meal!
Also, a note on Szechuan peppercorns: For those of you new to these, they are wonderful and unusual. They will “hit” you with a numbing sensation, at the same time that they give a “kick” to the dishes! Fuloon is known for these.
And for those of you who'd like to organize ChowDowns (it was easy!):
We would just STRONGLY "suggest" that you pick the date and time BEFORE posting - it's havoc, otherwise!
And if you'd like to start a ChowCrew (a regular eating bunch!):